Posts by lrlt2000

Thank you, scrumdiddlycakes and liz at sugar--those comments help my thoughts on this issue! I will be making ganaches tomorrow :) 
I found these two links that I think helped me figure this out: http://thecookandthechemist.blogspot.com/2013/03/the-science-of-chocolate-ganache.html and http://chocolate.mit.edu/~chocolatiers/Wiki/index.php?title=Truffle_Making   I'm still not sure what is best for the whipped ganache I want, but I am guessing the best solution will be found by trial and error :) Anyone gone through this process and settled on the most ideal for whipped ganache filling that's not...
I want to fill my cake this week with whipped chocolate ganache.  I want it to be firm enough to support the cake once between the cake layers, but not so firm that it's too hard next the cake when eaten.  Do you know what I mean?   I'm sure you experts know the intricacies of the varying ratios of heavy cream to chocolate, as well as the different types of chocolate, that will help me determine what is best for my purposes! Also, how far in advance can I make...
I am wondering how everyone who does fondant/modeling chocolate/etc. figurines and other items keeps the marks from rubber gloves off of the finished product!? I haven't worked with fondant/modeling chocolate combination yet, but this week's cake will be my first, and it has some hand sculpture.  The wrinkles from my gloves show when I try to roll balls or shape pieces.  Any tricks?
Just an update :) I decided to try to remelt the entire batch (which was a double batch) and re-knead.  I did it using a double boiler, which was another mistake!!! I'm not sure whether it got to hot, whether I was stirring or agitating too much, or both, but I ended up with a MESS! All of the fat had been forced out and I had a bowl of fat soup with a giant mountain of disgusting chocolate.  I felt defeated ;)   With the help and encouragement of Rae (blakescakes),...
I've never filled a cake before using whipped chocolate ganache (or even made it, for that matter ;))  Do I need a damn with it, or is it stable enough once cooled to hold up the top layer without bulge?  I plan to use a 2:1 ratio of heavy cream to chocolate. I will also be covering and decorating with MMF and modeling chocolate.   Any thoughts are appreciated! 
I made a large batch of white modeling chocolate, using 49oz of white chocolate (48 almond bark and 1 Baker's white, for an even conversion from the recipe I was using--it called for 7oz of white chocolate to 2.5-3 T of corn syrup). I wanted to add Wilton white coloring, but I had a momentary lapse in focus and added the coloring to the melting chocolate instead of the corn syrup :// I added it after only the first warming (microwave), but I still think it didn't let me...
I'm doing my first deer cake for this weekend, and had to share this artist's work! I'm using it as a model and the different angles of the head/antlers have been amazingly indispensable, in the absence of an actual deer here    I hope this will help others! There are dozens of different colors and finishes, but I've taken to the pink one  http://www.etsy.com/listing/96122351/faux-deer-mount-the-alejandra-pink-resin
I haven't used modeling chocolate too much, but planned this deer head cake with MC in mind to cover both the antlers (full set) and the deer head (RKT).  I planned on just hand-painting the coloring onto the antlers and head (after adding texture), but it just occurred to me that regular Wilton/AC colors will not stick to the MC!?   Is that right? What should I do? I don't feel like I can get great details with melted chocolate, PLUS, I only have regular dyes to...