Posts by mmichelew

OK, I’ve gotten SO many requests for directions on building the clubhouse that I decided to post this in the forum. Several folks have done these since mine, so they can probably add some very helpful tips. I’m also trying to recall all of my steps from memory as it’s been a while since I’ve made the cake now. Anyway here goes…. I used a single layer 10” square cake for the base, and the base of the clubhouse is a ½ sports ball pan, covered w/ buttercream & fondant,...
Hey, guys. Just stumbled upon this thread. Given my greatly reduced cake decorating business, don't know if I pass muster or qualify for participation, but I would love to come on the 16th if I can work out my schedule. While cake decorating may not be as much of my life as it was just a few months ago, it's still a passion that I pursue as much as I can!
I've used both buttercream & cream cheese, and the latter seems to be a bigger "hit" for my folks.
Here's mine. This is a hand-painted monet that I did for a dossant party (the NC art museum had a Monet exhibit at the time). This was all hand-painted in buttercream & thinned down gel colors on MMF & then put on top of my luscious opera cake. I was SOOOO proud of this cake, but I guess a lot of decorators don't necessarily search for "Monet" on the site. http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_60693.htmlJust wish the picture were better.
One other thing to note - Copyright law prevents someone from preparing "derivative works" from a copyrighted image. Buying a toy and adding it to the cake and reselling is, technically, a derivative work. Yikes!
All4Cake - Please don't get me wrong - I don't know the answer here. All I know is that it's not black & white, and I'm not convinced that IF it is an infringement to reproduce an image on the top of a cake that reselling a cake topper or toy on your cake is not likewise an infringement of someone else's property rights. It's not the same as a garage sale - that's an individual unloading stuff - not a company using a licensed character in order to make a profit - hugely...
It's not so much an issue of recreating an image as it is profiting off of someone else's copyrighted image. If you buy a licensed character toy and put it on top of the cake and resell the final product for a profit, and you don't have the rights (from Disney) to resell the toy, then theoretically you have infringed their copyright. Use of the image (whether you created it or not) is where the infringement comes into play.
Hi fellow CCers. This topic has caused me the most headache, and as a lawyer myself (just not a copyright one), I have researched and researched to find an answer (to no avail). Now I'm NOT giving legal advice here (there's my legal disclaimer), and I don't think the answer is clear. But if you take this to the extreme, you cannot use any copyrighted image (invitation, company logos, sports teams, tiffany boxes, luis vuitton purses, jimmy choo shoes, etc.). And it's so...
Don't use Wilton (that's my first tip). Satin ice handles so much better! But the half-sphere was really easy - easier than covering a regular round cake. Sphere was a little more of a challenge (mind you, I have NO fondant tools). After I put a thin layer of BC on the sphere, I lay the fondant on top and just started smoothing. (I actually ended up w/ lots of ugly spots [b/c I used wilton that was old - fresh out of the package] that I had to "doctor" w/ black...
I think I was actually the first to attempt the 3D clubhouse on this site (or at least the first to post a photo - lol) and while challenging, it makes for a great cake. After my first real 3D, I came up with a smaller, simpler design (just modeled fondant to resemble the clubhouse and used it as a topper for a cake). FBCT would certainly work and be very cute for the clubhouse, but 3D is do-able (if I can do it, just about anyone can - I'm certainly no cake whiz!!). ...