Posts by -K8memphis

so sorry this happened--stellar cake--beautiful work--   how many dowel are you using for each tier--and how close to the the outside perimeter are you setting them?   what size are the dowel 1/4 inch?
not an extract--some kind of raspberry oil--like a lorann oil--   i don't have or know of any tutorials--   but the bottom edge needs to be smaller that the top edge--right? so if you pinch up a bit of fondant pinch it straight up & down rather than have it fold over to one side--it's how i do them--   your rose is great [she typed in rose red colored font ;] i'm giving you some fine points because you asked--you're more than fine without paying them any attention...
hello neighbor, (i'm in tn ;)   cute little roses--pretty good for a 1st--see the two folds down in the middle at 2:00 and 4:00? you need to tuck those in up & down rather than across at an angle like that--and you can experiment with the fold on the edge--i'd like mine a little thinner--but there's no right or wrong--   after drying -- yes i'd roll each one loosely in a wrinkled paper towel and then bubble wrap is good and fill the box so the roses are not squished...
cut a quarter sheet lengthwise so you have a 4.5 x 26 then cut some off so it will fit in a half sheet box--place the cutouts on top to fashion it into a rolling chocolate highway bordered w/ some green grass, etc. slap a plastic truck on it and call it a day--who's gonna do a sculpture with one day notice (are you closed on sunday?) charge her for a half sheet -- done
nancy, most of rose's cake recipes in tcb are commonly known for not being user friendly--it's not just you--   i think her theories and her ability to write a reasonably easy to follow recipe are less than successful--her fillings and frostings are lauded far and wide--while her chocolate oblivion flourless cake is brilliant--i'd suggest you look elsewhere for cake recipes   best to you
you can add silver to piping gel or you can paint over royal
oh and abc is nice because you can tap it down with your finger and pat it around to smoothy smooth out any booboos--and with royal you can use a moistened paint brush--and if you're lazy like me you can get your smbc cold and use your finger tip to smooth out any errant tails--   you can eliminate tails by backing off the pressure at the same time you pull away while you still continue to follow the arc-- so everything is continual--patting them down works too ;) no...
then you might wanna graduate to a smaller tip eventually -- and you could use different sizes too-- but varying the pressure can take care of that too--   oh yeah but use a small amount of icing in the bag like maybe a cup or so--this way you have better control-   best piping to you
i would suggest that you use a 3 tube to practice and use varying amounts of pressure to make the different thicknesses of  the design--as well as overpiping--   i picture you practicing on a table or counter top that you can hover over--stand on something if you need to--you want your arm loose from the shoulder--your arm will make a perfect arc if you just let it swing--work on that--so you are holding the bag in one hand and place the pointer finger of the other hand...
the red without the food color cake that i know of is called red devil's food--it's a subtle red from the chemical reaction--but it is a chocolate cake--not a mild choco like rv   http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/red-devils-food-cake/867adb8c-54a3-4f56-88f4-c6e464426412   onehotmess--you have a way with words and i enjoy your posts--the baby seals thing was hysterical!! i was surprised to learn that you had used them too--hahahaha