Posts by crylynn

I have a pic of one in my pics as well. Good luck! Graduation cakes are fun to me.
Poor sweetie! You just were not meant to bring that cake to them! Maybe if the cake had come out perfect, someone would have decided that the cake made them sick, or someone would have had an allergic reaction to something and blamed you. Or you would have gotten a paid order from someone and in the end they would be the 'demand money back even though there was nothing wrong' type of person. Think of it as the times when you just can't get out the front door on time, you...
cakesbyallison is right with what she posted, but I also want to add that attaching royal icing decorations with buttercream may not be a good idea. Like she said, royal is best to attach with, because the grease in the buttercream could melt the royal icing decorations and they could just fall off, or run, even if only using a little bit. If they are very well dried and 'aged' then you would be fine, but otherwise, err on the side of caution and use the royal icing to...
And also, double check your measurments. I am used to using the walmart powdered sugar so I never measure it anymore, but recently I made my buttercream using a different bagged brand, and I had cracks in mine, and I noticed it was very stiff to work with so I had to add alot of extra water. Well, a few days later I went and bought another bag of it and actually measured it, and it was about a cup more of sugar than I use with my recipe! Don't know why, don't know how. I...
Well! I admit I usually just take the picture wherever it is at. I'm bad that way. But after hearing all of this great advise, I will be adding a few more things to my collection of cake items that my family calls 'But what does that have to do with cake? Wait, you do what with it????'
I used a spoon and dolloped it in, but for the cake I made the area for the water was about 3"wx6"lx1/2"d. Then I used the back of the spoon to smooth it out and simulate the ripples of water. I didn't have any problems. I did use a parchment bag for the waterfall though. I did have a time trying to make the cake though. All kinds of visitors the day I was decorating who all insisted on sitting down for coffee, asking a bunch of questions non cake related, and generally...
Get them, get them, get them!!!!!!!!! You will never bake a cake, even just a quick one for desert that you don't plan to decorate, without them again! And, because they insulate the outside edges, the cake comes out with the same moistness and texture throught. They can help a good cake turn out great!
Also, if you happen to have someone who can cut you some boards from plywood, that would be great as well! My H cut a lot of different sizes for me, after the first time I cracked a cake due to lack of support Now if I do a large heavy cake, I always use those (I always make a point of reminding the person I will need it back), but for smaller ones I just use cardboard, one or two at a time. Just a thought.
I do tell people that I used a box mix, and that I add my own secret ingredient, and then add that it is NOT a box of pudding mix! Everyone always thinks that is the way to get a good moist cake when that is just not true. Everyone who has eaten my cakes loves them, and a few people when they find out it is a box mix (who did not know about my secret ingredient speil) ask if I added pudding mix to it and when I tell them no, they are surprised that the cake came out so...
OMG!!!!!! You were all saying it was so ugly, but I honestly did not beleive it could be THAT ugly. That thing looks like someone was just learning how to work with fondant and did not have a teacher, tutor, or even a video to learn from! I will never look at any of my own cakes and call then hideous again (just because the buttercream is not as smooth as I want, or a flower did not turn out perfect). Just goes to prove that money does not necessarily buy good taste and...