Posts by rsaun

Solascakes, I got over it by saying "no" next time they needed a cake. I quoted my price, and she said, "Could you come down on that any?" I said, "No. That price is firm." Well, she said she was going to look around and then called back about a week or two later and said they wanted to go with me after all, but by then, we had just learned we were moving from Ohio to Oklahoma, and so I couldn't do it. I was somewhat satisfied to do that, because I know she had to...
This happened to me, and stupidly, I bought the sob story...and did a 4-tier wedding cake for $125.00 (I know...shoot me now). Then, when I went to deliver it to the address I was given, I was certain there was a mistake, because it was a huge, beautiful reception hall, decorated PROFESSIONALLY. Then, I put my cake on the cake table, and while I was assembling it, another woman brings in an extremely fancy groom's cake and places it on the table, too. I asked if she was...
I did one recently, and what I did was get a picture of the emblem and trace it onto fondant and kind of build it...a layer at a time. It ended up kind of 3-D looking. For the eagle, I traced it onto fondant, and then "carved" the detail onto it and then brushed it with silver luster dust. I'll look and see if it's in my pics and add it if it's not. Good luck!
Thanks, Daisy. I would like to bump this to see if anyone else has tips for a fondant/gumpaste hat so I don't have to make a separate cake. Anyone???
Could someone give me instructions on how to make a fondant cowboy hat? I'm doing a birthday cake for a rodeo queen and would love some pointers!!!Thanks!
I recently moved to Oklahoma. I was stupid and did not research Oklahoma laws regarding home-based businesses. I had come from Ohio where cottage industry was fine, and so I assumed it was here, too. Big mistake.I got "caught" by the Department of Health and can no longer do my cakes unless I get a commercial kitchen. Ummm...that's not gonna happen. Home bakeries are not licensed or legal in Oklahoma. If you are doing this in Oklahoma be careful. I didn't get in...
I'm bumping this because I really need some help...
Two nights ago, I completed two cakes with white buttercream icing and piped black japanese symbols. They looked great. When I got them to the reception yesterday, all the black piping had bled onto the white icing and made a purple-ish border around all of the black. Needless to say, I was horrified. I often use a black/white combination and this has never happened before.Now, in a month, I have a wedding cake to do and of course, it's to be white buttercream with...
My husband and I are looking to relocate to the Panhandle area due to his job, and I was wondering if anyone has any information to share about home-based businesses in the Panhandle, if anyone knows of any bakeries that might be hiring, or anything else useful for me. Any help would be appreciated!!!
This stinks. I think we've all felt this irritation. I work in a large law firm and am the resident cake-baker. Everyone here goes with my cakes and it is a great client base. Also, because it is a fancy firm in a big town, a lot of people are willing to pay my prices, too, so it's great.But, anyway, I have a friend here at work who was getting married, and another friend (and customer of four or five cakes in the last year) was hosting the shower for her that they...