Posts by rsaun

Parchment paper triangles, rolled into cones, work great for SMALL amounts of icing. They're much cheaper than the disposable bags, too. HTHI like plastic best, and I wait till Hobby Lobby does 50% off Wilton and stock up on boxes of 100.
This is sticky. Most of my orders are filled for co-workers and most of them give me feedback without any prompting from me. I did a cake back in October (ghosts in graveyard in my gallery) for a non-coworker customer, and he was a tad bit difficult, and then received the cake with an "attitude" and I never heard anything else. So, like you, I worried over the issue and asked for advice on here. I was given responses that ranged from compassionate and caring to ones...
I started off that way...looking for opportunities, and then it just took off. Now, I'm looking for my post-holiday cake "sabbatical." I cut off my order deliveries for Christmas on December 15th and then don't have another order until January 4th. As you build up your clientele, you will find yourself searching for those pockets of time w/ no orders.I also have a full-time job w/ 50+ hours per week, and probably put in at least 25 or so hours per week on the...
I'm a non-professional baker, but I have upwards of 10-12 orders per month. My stroke of luck is because I work in a large law firm and the people here are my customers. I've actually been booked for a few months in advance, and now have few openings for January and February. I offered a portfolio-building discount for a few months when I first got started, and that got people hooked. Now, I sell for "full price" and I've got all the business I need and more.So, find a...
Instead of being an "Army" brat my whole life, I was a "Sears" brat, and that company moved us all over the country as I was growing up as my father moved up in the company. Because of that, I feel like I know retail like the back of my hand, and you're right, customers can be AWFUL to the clerks, managers, cashiers, etc. In fact, on "Black Friday" Sears was giving away $10 gift cards to the first 200 customers, and this lady, who was probably customer #350-ish according...
I've not had the same problem, however, I can see how it could happen. I had someone order a cake for an October birthday back in July. When I delivered it to her in October (I deliver to the downtown where I work), she had totally forgotten she had even ordered. I can't imagine this would happen on short notice, but who knows?Like everyone else, I hope this person is okay.
Thanks. Should I substitute the OJ for some of the water in the recipe or just add it? Will the mix be too "liquid-y" if I just add it? Sorry for the somewhat "stupid" questions, but I've not messed w/ cake mix too much.
My dad is turning 60 on Friday. I asked him what flavor cake he would like and he said "orange." I was so sure that I'd seen an orange cake mix out there, that I didn't worry about it until today when checking the grocery store shelves, saw there was no orange cake mix out there (lemon, yes, strawberry, yes, pineapple, yes, but NO ORANGE) Anyway, does anyone have a good orange cake recipe that can with stand being baked in the sports ball pan? Or, do you know if I can...
I've had it with Michael's, too. Back when I was planning my wedding (I did all my own flowers, favors, invitations, etc.), I spent $100s of dollars there, and waited until a coupon came out (every few weeks) and would go and buy in mass quantities. At first, they made me have one coupon per item (I bought lots of newspapers ), and that was fine. Then, they said, "Well, we can only use one coupon per transaction," and being the way I am about saving money, I said,...
The "cost" that I am being offered only includes ingredients to my knowledge. I know, depending on how many torted layers there will be, there will be a MINIMUM of 10 layers that I will need to bake, so at least 10 hours of baking time in my gas oven...and with the price of gas, wow-wee...I'm sure that she wasn't planning to compensate me for that.We'll see what happens when I hear back from her. I have to handle this "delicately," because, while she's not exactly a...