Posts by Beecharmer

I made ganache for the first time. Used 1 1/2 cups cream, 3 Tbs. butter, 3 Tbs. sugar and 12 oz. chocolate.It is very runny. Is it supposed to be this way? I let it cool for about 15 minutes and it felt ok to the touch. I had to put it on with a brush. Is this normal?[/b]
THANKS!! I may pipe a filling in each cake. I've never done that before.
Would it be terrible if I didn't do two layers? Just a thicker cake layer? I'm really looking to save time. Does anyone know if I should ice the cake first? It said to in the Wilton yearbook I have.
Actually, I was going to bake a sheet cake and cut it into 3" pieces. Would I have to ice it, then pour ganache to make it look smooth?
We are having a surprise 40th birthday party for my sister. I dont' have time to do a cute decorated cake. I was thinking about making small individual cakes and covering them with ganache, then ruffles on top with a chocolate 40 stuck in. I've never made ganache before. Do I just make it and pour it over the cakes? Will it look smooth and shiny?
I made a baby cake (you can see in my photos) and colored some of the icing and swirled it. It turned out real pretty.
Thanks. Before I posted this question I did some research. One of the members said she freezes the outline, then fills in. It keeps the outline from smearing. After I got all the lines done last night, I was ready to quit anyway. So, will try to finish it tonight. Will post when done.
I've made several FBCT's, but I have one to do that is pretty detailed. Can some of you experts give me some advice? Any secret to the fine details?
I looked at your photos. I love the squirrel. How do you do the hair? Where did you learn to do the detail to the clothes? Any books you would reccommend?
I have just finished my first 3D figures. Had a ball making them, but have some questions. I put my fondant through a clay gun for the hair, but had to soften it with shortening to get it to come out. Then the "hair" seemed to clump together easily. Any tips on hair making? The first guy I did was sitting down - no problem. I wanted his wife to stand up, so I ended up putting a couple of skewers in her legs. How do others get the figures to stand? Also, something...