Posts by hvanaalst

Where I am 16oz bags are pretty common. I usually buy as big of a bag as I can find tho and weigh out what I need. Much more cost efficient.
Sounds to me like you are overbaking them. On what temp and for how long did you bake?
I love to try new recipes and use my friends and family as guinea pigs. By far for white cake the WASC recipe I got on here gets the best comments. I have heard so many times that it is the best cake they have ever had. I recently made a wedding cake for a friend and there was not a piece of cake left at the end of the wedding and there were way more servings then she had people. I was given a scratch chocolate cake recipe by another friend who wanted me to use it...
I don't know if it is the same in the US as it is here in Canada, but here we do not have interns in the bakery. They do however hire completely unexperienced people all the time and 'train' them. I am sure you could get a job at one with no problem if they are hiring. The real problem is actually having time to decorate cakes. Because we are always short staffed we spend a ridiculous amount of time doing the bakery stocking/baking and such and cakes are never the...
I meant let it rest after it is all mixed together.I think it goes without saying to let your customer know. Not sure about you but I always clarify allergy concerns before I make a cake for someone and discuss flavors.
I work in a WM bakery in Canada and I can't imagine how they would handle having to do tiered cakes. They won't even order all of the proper airbrush and custom colors to do the deco cakes we offer. The two other 'cake decorators' in the bakery with me have no cake experience at all outside of WM. I can't imagine how they would be able to do a teired cake. If people had any idea what happens behind the scenes at WM I can't imagine they would want a cake even for that...
Start with chocolate MMF, add dye before the powdered sugar, and let rest at least one day as it gets darker the longer it sits. This doesn't take too much black and tastes yummy too because it is black. I have some on the 80's cake in my gallery to give you an idea how it turns out.
I just made one out of a betty crocker fall cook book for some gingerbread cupcakes and it was very tasty.1 package of cream cheese (8oz)1/4 butter, softened2 teaspoons of grated lemon peel1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon4 cups powdered sugar1 to 2 teaspoons of milk
Thanks. I told her she needed to supply the cake spikes as well and I am putting them on the cake at the venue when I deliver so they will only have to be in the cake a couple hours there before the cake is served.
I am making a wedding cake for a friend this weekend. She wants real roses put on it which she is getting from the florist for me to put on the cake. I have never used real flowers on a cake before. Any tips on how to do it and what not to do. The cake is a WASC with Buttercream (no fondant) and is a 14/10/6 with the 10" being a dummy. She wants roses on the top and then kind of cascading down on an angle.