Posts by yortma

A better White Cake by fromscratch SF is awesome.  I have tried so many, but have never tried another since.  I made 8", 10" and 12" this past week without any problems.  rose beautifully, nice and level, although I agree with the prior observations - the top is a little sticky.  No problem, just Agbay it off.  I have only tried the all egg white version though.  possibly it is your baking powder, or maybe using whole eggs changes the fat content too much?  Don't give up,...
Massa Grischuna Neutral or Carma's Massa Ticino Tropic.  They are both great.  Can be rolled thinly, are not sticky and stretchy like many others, and they really taste good too. I don't use anything else, (except for cake boards!)   As far as I know only available online.  Grischuna from Albert Uster Imports only, Tropic from FondantSource but other sites too I believe.  HTH, good luck.  
Use a blow dryer or little space heater on the side of the bowl (from a foot or so away) while mixing, watching carefully so doesn't melt.  Turn it off as soon as it starts to come together.  
I threw away several different leveling systems before learning of the Agbay here on CC.  Best thing I learned from you all!  I agree for small cakes, the long serrated knife like that pictured above is quick and easy.  But I do love my Agbay. It is so easy to use, and so accurate, especially for larger cakes.  It has a blade guard, and I hang it on a wooden coat rack up above the door inside my pantry.  Way out of the reach of little hands (although no little ones in my...
I have a recipe with similar amounts that I can double in my 7 qt KA, but not my 4.5 quart.  HTH
I didn't see a photo attached, but any tiered cake needs internal support. Because of the support, you can use whatever cake you would normally use, because the weight is never on the cake itself, but is held up  by the internal supports.   Also if any on of the tiers is extra tall, there should be a separator with supports within that tier, so there are 2 tiers the same size on top of each other, but it looks like one extra tall.  HTH
I agree, if it is just a few days, refrigerate the cake layers for a day or two before assembly.  If you want to start earlier, bake the cake layers, torte, level, wrap the individual layers securely and freeze until an hour or two before assembly. Then just loosen the wrap and let thaw. Easy! Doesn't even have to be completely thawed unless you still need to level or torte.    I am a big fan of freezing.  I freeze just about everything, even for a day or two, since I have...
I think it would probably work well. Sour cream has more fat than most buttermilk (although that varies greatly) and is thicker.  I might thin the sour cream with milk or water to the consistency of buttermilk.  The type of buttermilk that i use which is a full fat type is the consistency of thick cream.  my sour cream is about 40 grams of fat per cup, and my buttermilk is about 10, so if you use 1 part sour cream to 3 parts water or low fat milk, the fat will be about...
It sounds like it is too cold.  If you keep mixing it might come together or it might completely separate to butter chunks and clear syrup (still retrievable though!).  If the buttercream is not whipping up quickly, it needs to be  warmed.  I warm the side of the mixing bowl gently with a blow dryer (or I also have a small space heater)  held a foot or so away while running the mixer.  As soon as it starts to come together, turn of the warmer, but keep mixing until smooth....
My SMBC recipe is 1.5 cups of egg whites, 2 cups of sugar, 1.5 pounds (6 cubes) of butter.  It is the standard directions for SMBC.    If you need  directions, i will be happy to pm.  To be honest, I don't know the exact amounts, I make it to taste every time.  To the above amount I probably about a  cup of curd, but I add in 1/4 cup increments mixing well after each, until it is the right intensity.  I use a little less vanilla than I would for a vanilla SMBC,  about  2...