Posts by yortma

This is a very nice raspberry filling.  Very flavorful, but also nice and thick.  Fresher and IMO better tasting than jam.  I always double the recipe and freeze any leftovers.  Can be added to buttercream as well.  (may wish to strain again to remove all seeds if adding to BC)       http://www.cakeboss.com/Cake-Stuff/Recipes/Raspberry-Filling           RASPBERRY FILLING   Source:  Cake Boss       Notes:  yield 1 cup                  keeps 1 week...
Inga, did you use regular Hershey's or Hershey's special dark cocoa in your comparison?    I use hershey's special dark with the double chocolate cake from epicurious and it is my favorite chocolate cake recipe.  But I will try ghirardelli cocoa next time based on your recommendations.  Thanks!
I routinely freeze unassembled cakes and tubs of frosting, but had never frozen an assembled cake until recently.  It was either that or throw it away, so there was nothing to lose, and it ended up being a very useful learning experience.  I made a cake and had to freeze it for a week.  (For a friend, miscommunicated date).  It was 2 tiered 12" and  8", covered with fondant, fondant decorations, with a fondant plus tylose bow on top.  I separated the two tiers and took...
    I made this cake recently (the notes were on a side panel)  with notes attached to fondant.  Not as complicated as your notes, but hopefully some helpful ideas.  Yours look great BTW!     I cut the figures out of fondant with an exacto knife.  I had added Tylose to the fondant so it would dry faster.  I covered the pieces with saran wrap to let them firm up a little, but still be flexible so they could be handled but still bed able to follow the curve of the...
Are you sure it is fully mixed before using?  If the butter and sugar syrup aren't completely incorporated, they can separate out.  A few times I have noted that even though I thought the buttercream was finished, when I tried to use it it just wasn't right - it was just a little grainy and wet looking.  Subtle, but definitely not the smooth silky buttercream that is expected. I've seen this also when re whipping the buttercream after defrosting. I think it  may be  when...
Massa Grischuna Neutral or Carma's Massa Ticino Tropic.  They are both great.  Can be rolled thinly, are not sticky and stretchy like many others, and they really taste good too. I don't use anything else, (except for cake boards!)   As far as I know only available online.  Grischuna from Albert Uster Imports only, Tropic from FondantSource but other sites too I believe.  HTH, good luck.  
Use a blow dryer or little space heater on the side of the bowl (from a foot or so away) while mixing, watching carefully so doesn't melt.  Turn it off as soon as it starts to come together.  
I threw away several different leveling systems before learning of the Agbay here on CC.  Best thing I learned from you all!  I agree for small cakes, the long serrated knife like that pictured above is quick and easy.  But I do love my Agbay. It is so easy to use, and so accurate, especially for larger cakes.  It has a blade guard, and I hang it on a wooden coat rack up above the door inside my pantry.  Way out of the reach of little hands (although no little ones in my...
I have a recipe with similar amounts that I can double in my 7 qt KA, but not my 4.5 quart.  HTH
I didn't see a photo attached, but any tiered cake needs internal support. Because of the support, you can use whatever cake you would normally use, because the weight is never on the cake itself, but is held up  by the internal supports.   Also if any on of the tiers is extra tall, there should be a separator with supports within that tier, so there are 2 tiers the same size on top of each other, but it looks like one extra tall.  HTH