Posts by ChristaBaker

When I make my real strawberry cake as cupcakes the cupcake wrappers peel away from the cupcakes. I am thinking it is the pureed strawberries in the recipe which causes it. Can anyone suggest a brand of liners that do not do this? It doesn't happen with any of my other cake recipes.
I bake entirely from scratch too. I know there are many cake decorators who use a mix (or a doctored mix) but I can always tell a mix cake, even a doctored one. Years ago I used mixes, but then I started to feel like I was cheating when people started paying me for the cakes. Also, I felt like scratch baking is a kind of dying art form and I was determined to learn it. Now I will not go back.It can take many tries to find recipes you are happy with. I had the same problem...
Oh, and I also make all of my cakes from scratch, and I make that part of my selling point. I use high quality ingredients and since they are scratch-made, I can customize them for flavor or to omit certain ingredients due to allergies, etc.I NEVER hesitate to point out that store cakes are from industrail sized chemical laden mixes and so is their frosting. You want quality, you pay for it But If you truly don't mind getting a cake from Walmart, then I will very nicely...
I can totally relate even though I have been doing it for a few years now. It is a blessing and a curse to be in a state where I can legally work from my home kitchen. On the one hand, I don't have additional overhead costs, but on the other hand, it seems less professional and therefore people think my cakes should cost significantly less. It is really hard to tell your friends your prices, because even with a discount it always a lot more than they were expecting to pay...
I wouldn't put it quite that way - I would charge more simply because I am always "working out deals" and giving discounts to the majority of my clients for varoius reasons, so if I knew someone was willing to pay whatever I asked, I would simply charge FULL PRICE, not overcharge them. That does not seem unethical to me. People are always coming to me and asking how I can do a great cake for them on a tight budget, and I try to work with them within reason (scaling down...
Do you ever have people request tasting samples of cookies? If so, How many samples do you give, and do you just eat the cost in hopes that you will get the order? What size cakes do you make (and how many different flavors) for a tasting? I have only done one official tasting so far, (most of my orders come from word-of-mouth and they do not ask for a tasting first). I made two flavors and they were tiny little individual cakes, maybe twice the size of a cupcake. The...
I'm finally getting pretty good at pricing cakes and cookies and not undercharging, but certain things still throw me for a loop:Do you charge more for multiple flavors in cakes and cookies? I have a client who wants 100 decorated cookies - half sugar, half rolled spice cookies. Do I tack on an extra charge since it is a little extra work to make the two doughs (and perhaps slightly more for the ingredients of the other flavor)? What about for cakes if one tier is a...
For Manhattan you definitely undercharged. She probably would have paid someone else at least that much for just the cake. It is so hard to know what to charge when you are just getting established, and then people will come back to you later and want the same low prices. I have a customer right now who wants another cake from me and I gave her a great low price last time (partly because I was still figuring out my pricing, but also because I was offering a deal for people...
Indydebi:Thanks for posting that! It really got me thinking. In my case, I really just do cakes for family and friends, and I consider myself a hobbyist. I have only ever sold cakes to people who approached me after seeing one of my cakes, so I am not actively trying to make this into a business (though the state I live in does license home bakers IF I ever decide to). I do not do wedding cakes, only sculpted and tiered cakes for birthday parties and other special...
I don't even live in a small town, but just outside of Boston, where people are generally used to a higher cost of living. But because I work from home, people expect that I'll charge $20-30 for a cake. Are you kidding? You would pay $20 for a cake at the grocery store, let alone a custom cake! And I generally don't charge what I really think I'm worth, because I haven't built a name around here yet. But still, if I tell someone that the cake they want would be $50-75,...