Posts by PuffMamaT

LearningCurve, I just picked up a thin stencil at JoAnne's. I tested it on parchment this weekend with a smooth-spreading medium (Bettercreme) and it came out great! I just followed the advice given to me here and put a glob on like wall spackle, then spread it out and scraped it off smooth. It was beautiful.ebredhawk, thanks for the tips on spacing. I'll give it a try. Maybe I'll used actual crusting buttercream for the stencil instead of the bEttercreME and pop it...
Thanks you guys, I really appreciate the advice.After reading about the Bettercreme, I picked some up at GFS just to try it. It stencils like a dream! Tonight I'll pick up some buttercream at Sam's, since I've read rave reviews about it on here.I have two more questions, if you don't mind:1. How do I figure out how to place the pattern on the cake so that I don't have a large gap at the end after going around my cake? I have some sort of plastic measuring tool that I...
Thanks for posting this topic.I did my first ganache a few months ago, and the woman at the cake decorating supply store insisted that I MUST use at least 70% cocao or else my ganache wouldn't "bind". Now I'm glad to see that I can use regular old Nestle's! FYI, I whipped my leftover ganache and used it as filling. It ended up being more like a truffle filling -- very dense, almost like a fudge. But my friend LOVED it, and in fact requested another cake just like it...
I run a non-cake business with my hubby, and I always have the urge to go down in price, too. Finally my accountant/financial planner told me: "Never apologize for your prices". It is what it is. People are paying for my expertise (and yours!). Never be ashamed of that. I think I have the urge to go down in price because in MY mind, what I do seems fairly easy in some respects. It's because I do it every single day! But to the average person, there is no way they...
Hi Wehmom, Thanks! Yes, that is helpul. A few more questions:1. Did you thin out your buttercream at all?2. So if I'm understanding correctly, you spread the BC on over the stencil almost like you would spread spackle on a wall?3. Do you have a good crusting BC recipe that you prefer? I have tried a couple on here but they all end up cracking/drying out. How do I get a good crust without the cracking?Thanks!
I'm doing my first stencil this week. It's a brown damask pattern that needs to go on light blue buttercream.I have done a couple of test runs on parchment paper with my stencil. So far I have tried:Sugarveil: rips apart when I try to get it out of the stencil, also, there are so many tiny separate pieces that I would need to spend days repositioning them all on the cake. So, I need to stencil right on the cake I think.Melted chocolate - this gives a nice color, but I...
Thanks, Ginny. That's a good point.You made me think of one more question -- thanks for your patience.When you say leave it out, covered...How do people cover large tiered cakes? This one isn't really very large (10-inch and 8-inch tiers), but I don't know how I would cover it, especially without messing up the buttercream. I would want the fondant on the sides (stripes and argyle pattern) to remain soft, but the other decorations like bows and characters should...
Great! Thank you!!! Now, just for my own learning purposes...if the BC is actually butter-based, it should be refrigerated, correct?We should have a little wizard on the site where we can put our fillings and coverings and have it spit out the "refrigerate or not?" answer.
Hi Everyone,Right now I am making a cake that I will be filling with whipped chocolate ganache. I will cover it with the Brite White Buttercream (really it's Sweetex-based...no butter) found in the recipes here. Decorations will be MMF.The cake is needed tomorrow afternoon. I know I can fill and ice the two tiers and refrigerate separately tonight (if I can make room in my fridge -- which is a big IF). However, I tend to work slowly because this is just an occasional...
I'm looking for the answer for this, too. Mine is just a ganache that is cooled and whipped.