Posts by PuffMamaT

Okay, follow up question -- I have very little black fondant left over from a prior project, and none of the stores near me stock it. They all have to special order it. There won't be any time for me to order it online, since the party is this Saturday.Whenever I try to make my own black fondant it always comes out an ugly gray. How much black food coloring do I have to add to actually get black?Does Americolor make a black coloring for airbrushes, and do you think...
Thanks so much, you guys. And thanks, Jaime, for the compliment on his car. He built it from the ground up, and is very proud of it. I think I am going to buy my airbrush tonight. I'll practice with it a bit and if I can't get the hang of it then I'll just go with blue fondant.I'll post pics if I'm not too embarassed of how it turns out. LOL!
Thanks, guys! Great tips. I always make the Durable Wedding Cake from this site (awesome), so I think that would probably work. I did try sort of carving it once and it didn't work so well, but I think this time I will freeze them well first before carving.Great idea about measuring on screen. That website looks helpful, too. I'll take a closer look at that. Thanks!
My Father-in-Law is turning 70 this month. My MIL asked me to make his cake. I have never sculpted a cake before, but I would like to make a replica of his 1937 Ford coupe. Photo attached. It is a metallic blue with gold "ghost flames".Ummm...sounds great, right? Except I have no clue how to make it actually look like that car, both shape-wise and color wise (with depth). Soooooo, I need tips for:1. Getting the actual shape of the car just right2. Airbrushing it...
Guys, I have a really dumb question...but when you say that you are using your husband's air compressor, how does that work? My husband has a big Craftsman air compressor in the garage that we use for your typical bike tire inflations, but are you saying I can somehow attach this to an airbrush gun and use it for cake?? I'm assuming that I can somehow adjust the strength of the air coming out of the compressor so it doesn't blow my cake to kingdom come, right?If so, then...
I happened to mention to my brother that I would like to get an airbrush to play around with on some cakes. He said that he has a very good one just sitting around that he no longer uses and I can have it if I want it.Is that even possible? I don't know anything about the mechanics of airbrushes so I don't know if it's possible to clean it well enough to ensure that there are no remnants of paint or past cleaning chemicals. What do you think?
Cool! Cakesdivine, if hubby decides to look into this further and we have questions, would you mind if I dropped you a line (since we're nowhere near in the same market)?That's the key -- we'll have to make it affordable and convenient. Hubby was talking about buying a warehouse-type deal that we could multi-purpose.We'll see. Michigan is a tough market for anything right now. Oh, and of course theres a little thing called MONEY that would come in handy.
I'm curious...I live in MI, where we cannot obtain a license for home food prep. I was going to ask the church if I could rent their kitchen, but I have doubts about their acceptance of that proposal.Lamenting this to my husband, he started asking questions about what would be needed. I rattled off the usual kitchen equipment, space, sinks that pass code, other code requirements, etc. and I could hear the gears grinding in his head.He has been wanting to purchase another...
That's my plan. Of course, I've only swiped the Bettercreme across parchment, so we'll see how it goes over top of the buttercream. I think it will be fine, though.
Ooops, sorry. What I meant was I used the Bettercreme to swipe over the stencil. I don't think I'd be able to use the Bettercreme as the base. I'm going to use Sam's Club buttercream icing for that.