Posts by AngelWendy

I told my husband I wanted to get back into cake decorating again and his birthday is coming in two weeks, so I asked him what shape of cake he wanted or if he wanted to give me a decorating challenge. He said he'd like a pyramid cake - Pyramids of Giza. Well, I have neither square pans other than 8X8 and 9X9 (to do a stacked cake - freeze and sculpt), and I do not have a pyramid pan. What would you do? What is the least expensive option? I am pretty sure he wants me to...
Today is my birthday. I don't think my DH is going to be making me a cake (as he doesn't know how to at all) nor is he planning to get me one. I really want to have one.. but.. Should I make one for myself? Is that more lame than not having one? Thanks..~Angel
I like that idea of making the holes in the board first and threading them from bottom up.. Sounds good!Thanks, Squirrelly Cakes!!~AngelW
I just did my wedding cake with about 10 orchids on it. I made these from fondant and they took about three days to dry out enough. I used the directions in the Wilton book on making GumPaste Flowers and the cutting tools they have for this.Here's a picture of the cake:
I am so sorry that the bride is giving you so much trouble. What a shame that she can't find the cake top.. Probably a mix-up, but NOT your fault!! Very kind of you to help her out in this case. Kudos to you!!!I decided our wedding cake top wouldn't be good a year later esp. after it was in the trunk of the car for two days before we got it home and another three days in the fridge. We just ate that one (most of it). I had made a second wedding cake for a family reception...
Well, for my own wedding cake, we did the following:For the bride/groom cutting the cake photo thing we cut a tiny sliver from the bottom tier. The cake was still stacked. We shared that piece for the photos. Then I unstacked the cake and moved aside each layer. I had decided we would cut the bottom layer first as it would serve the most people. I removed all the dowels by hand, though pliers might have been easier. For more sanitary removal, the cake cutting person...
What is the combination of ingredients for make it yourself cake-release? Is it flour and canola oil or is there a third ingredient in that? Need to make some for wedding cake baking starting tomorrow. Please respond ASAP - a PM would help me notice I have a response faster. I'm going nutso making my wedding cake and making my wedding gown and preparing for my wedding next weekend!Blessings,Angel
Well, it does dry out very fast and you have to keep it under glass or plastic .. like about a minute and it's a solid object.. I had trouble with cracking on it, too. Some people mix half fondant and half gum paste to get stronger and more flexible decorations than just one or the other.
After making four double batches of marshmallow fondant this morning, I think I finally have the hang of it! The first time my marshmallow boiled over in the microwave. Then I had all the sugar in the bowl to start with and couldn't get it all mixed in. The second time I forgot to add water and I also had all the sugar in the bowl to start with and couldn't get it all to mix in. When I added water, I added too much and that made it very sticky and hard to handle. Finally...
Went to Home Depot last night to get a cake board cut. The customer service had told me that they would cut a board into a circle for me. Then when I arrived I asked again and was told they did. When I got back to the wood section I was informed by two different employees that they were not allowed to cut circles at all - ever. Very frustrating! I ended up with a square cake board!!! What am I going to do with a square?