Posts by Diesel

I have always used Marshmallow fondant (recipe from here) and have had great success with it and is very inexpensive to make. Also, people really seem to like the taste.I did purchase Satin Ice for my golf cake as I needed a lot of dark green and just didn't want to deal with trying to get the color all the same with making it. But this purchase cost me over $25.
I've done it by dissolving a small piece of gumpaste in water and then using that as my 'glue'. It has worked for me. Good luck.
What I find interesting/funny is that people will go out to dinner, and not even a fancy smancy place but a middle of the road place, and order a dessert that costs anywhere from $4-7, but when you tell them a price for an entirely decorated cake they flip out. I politely told someone one time that if they didn't want to pay the price for the cake then they could just order 25 desserts from the restaurant and it would be the same amount. People really just don't...
I used wood dowels in the beginning, then switched to McDonald's straws, then to McAlister's Deli ones and finally I just buy the ones from a cake supply store near me. They come in a wider diameter and in pretty blue, pink, yellow and green. I haven't had a problem with straws to date and find them very easy to work with. I did 2 wedding cakes this year (3 and 4 tiers respectively) and transported each over 35 minutes and had no problems (and didn't have a center...
While it might take a while to build your business back up you may end up with quite a niche where people only come to you for gluten-free items. You could probably even charge more as though wanting gluten-free are more willing to pay for it if it's good.It's quickly becoming more accepted for people who suffer from intolerance or Celiac but also as a better way of living. My 5 year old daughter suffers from eczema pretty badly and for the last year we've changed her...
I have always used MMF, just tweak the flavoring, and have had a lot of great success with it. I used Satin Ice for the first time a couple weeks ago as I needed a lot of Green fondant for a golf cake and while I really liked the taste of it I was not impressed with the fondant itself. When I covered my cake there were little cracks all around the edges. Maybe I needed to add some glycerin, not sure. Maybe I just need more practice with it as so many professionals use...
Thank you. I actually saw it on cake boss as well. I think I'm going to try it!
I have used a raspberry mousse filling from cake central and really love it but I'm wondering, can fresh raspberries be added to a mousse recipe? Would that taste weird? I'm struggling with this one for some reason and need some help as I have a cake this weekend where they want a choc cake with a raspberry filling but they don't really care what type of raspberry filling. Should I just stick with the mousse or put fresh raspberries in the mousse as well. Help!
Well, I'm still waiting to hear on the topper part. She wants an all black and white cake, which I'm okay with but hasn't said anything about a topper. I would actuall like to do white flowers for a topper so if I get the go ahead then I agree, the 12/10/8 would look fine.Thanks!
Oh this whole situation is really funny! The bride is the sister of a friend of mine and really didn't even want to have a wedding. So my friend has basically thrown this all together for her sister who in her words is "hands off". So, to answer the question about the anniversary tier, nope, she doesn't care about that So, maybe I'll do the 4 tier suggestion with the 6" dummy on top or maybe do a 12-9-6. If I do that, I have to go out and buy the 9" pan. Oh well, can...