Posts by mbark

I just got the groovy lower case letters and was so excited to use them, like the look and size for certain cakes, however I got the dumb indentations on my letters! I will try either just pressing on the edges and also rolling my fondant thinner, but was disappointed these weren't a little easier to use. I LOVE my funky tappits and have no issues with them.  I guess these have a learning curve too, hope I can get them to work right!
thanks for the tips BakingIrene! being new to the cookie world, I appreciate all the tips & realize I have a lot to learn! amazingly, unbelievably, my customer emailed me back later today and said the cookies were a hit and everyone loved them! they were absolutely a disaster in my mind...
thank you, that is very helpful! I wonder if it is the dark color, as the ones I did before that didn't dry were black and the police hat on the baby for these ones were navy blue and black. but the flesh-tone face didn't dry either. the icing was also more runny compared to the blue onesies that did dry.but I didn't know about the grease issue, I will definitely be extra-careful about that!the lady sent someone else to pick up the cookies so I emailed her offering a...
Feeling like a huge failure at the moment. I mostly do cakes but have somewhat recently started doing decorated sugar cookies which I think are so fun. Anyway, I had an order for some baby shower cookies, onesies and baby cop faces (for the baby's dad who's a cop). I baked the cookies on thursday and flooded yesterday morning, all were flooded by about 11 am. The light blue onesies dried fine but the baby faces weren't drying and I was starting to get concerned last...
"People are so used to bad desserts they have no idea what they're missing"... freaking brilliant!
it does make you wonder how much practice it takes to be a good decorator, or how much is just inborn. I discovered my "talent" working in a grocery store bakery, they were training a few of us as new decorators and I took to it like a duck in water where another gal struggled and struggled after weeks and just couldn't get it. interesting stuff I think!
Ok so I tried the thing where you place a book on top of the cake to help it settle and get any bulges out, but after that was done I didn't know what to do lol. I usually don't crumb coat (I use the large icer tip) , but did this time and actually didn't end up with much bulging. Are you supposed to go over the cake again after this process if there is bulging? I did run my spatula around the cake but since it was a crusting icing (that had crusted) it started pulling it...
thanks so much! I will definitely give these a try. I appreciate your input!
Hello fellow cakers!I have tried a few lemon cake recipes and am still on the hunt for a luscious lemony one lol. The boxed mix is so fake tasting! Do you have a tried and true lemon scratch cake recipe you are willing to share? Nothing with lemon cake mix or jello/pudding- thanks!
I don't have an SUV and most of my tiered cakes won't fit on the floor of the passenger side (the top would hit the glove box), so I stack a couple books on the seat so it's level, put the non-skid liner on it and I have never had one move an inch, that's what works for me. of course I drive super careful so I don't have to stop suddenly.