Posts by Coastiemom

I also have had this problem and Sarah Jane has a great point. I have tried just a touch of black. I saw them do it in a paint store one time to get and very light shade of tan. I asked why black? They didn't know either, it was just in the instructions. I was a little puzzled about the black but it works like a charm.
lainee!!! I think you've got it! Looking back now I think that is exactly what I did twice. I feel so much better now not thinking that I hacve made some mistake I'd never know how to fix. thank you so much for your very valuable help. I have my first wedding to do June 17 and one to follow the very next Saturday. I have been in a real panick as to how my problem occured and what if it happens with my wedding cakes. BET IT WON'T!! thanks to you.
Lately I have made 2, 10" round, 2 layer cakes. The icing seems perfect and goes on the cakes great. Smoothes out like a dream. I decorate it and leave it sitting for the night. Next morning? The icing is sliding down the side of the cake in places and exposing the edge of the cake underneath. The first time this happened, I had remarked the night before that "that was the easiest cake I had ever iced". This is only happening on round cakes. I'm using the basic...
Lately I have made 2, 10" round, 2 layer cakes. The icing seems perfect and goes on the cakes great. Smoothes out like a dream. I decorate it and leave it sitting for the night. Next morning? The icing is sliding down the side of the cake in places and exposing the edge of the cake underneath. The first time this happened, I had remarked the night before that "that was the easiest cake I had ever iced". This is only happening on round cakes. I'm using the basic...
Most of my clients remark about how moist my cakes always are. Of course, I tell them it's my secret! The secret is to fill and crumb coat the cakes while they are still frozen. I have had great sucess with this method. I have also found that if I thaw them completely first, they fall apart during the crumb coating. I guess all the moisture is locked inside the cake while it is still frozen and doesn't excape if it is sealed before thawing. I don't put the final coat...
Most of my clients remark about how moist my cakes always are. Of course, I tell them it's my secret! The secret is to fill and crumb coat the cakes while they are still frozen. I have had great sucess with this method. I have also found that if I thaw them completely first, they fall apart during the crumb coating. I guess all the moisture is locked inside the cake while it is still frozen and doesn't excape if it is sealed before thawing. I don't put the final coat...
I don't know about cutting out things, but I love to use it as modeling clay. I can sit in front of the T.V. with my chosen colors and a picture and really go to town. Sometimes things turn out totally different than you had in mind to start with. Colored fondant and a toothpick are the tools of my affection!!!
In my brochure I state that you can "buy" a cake anywhere, if you want a imaginative creation, I'm your gal. People are always commenting that they love my cakes because they don't taste or look like "store bought" ones. I take that to include "Wal Mart"!
I'm pretty new to this site and to cake decorating. Color me DUH?????????????