Posts by MelissaLynn

Hey all! I am making a cake with cream cheese icing under fondant. I was wondering how long this can sit out before i need to worry about it going bad? Its a wedding cake and i just am not certain. I think its for 6 hours, but just wanted to make sure....
I was asked if I would server the wedding cake I'm making. I don't mind doing this, but shouldn't I charge for my time? If so, how much more should I charge?
I lightly sculpt the fondant to the cake with my hands at first then go back with the smoother and work my way from the top edge to the bottom pulling gently as I go. By the time i get back to the start side, i have leftovers that bunch together and won't smooth out.
Yikes!! I use MMF for all my fondant (especially after I discovered what Wilton's tasted like)... Anyway, I have covered a heart, a square and 7 or 8 total round cakes. What I am having trouble with are on the round ones. Only once did i not have any problems. Every other time, the fondant "bunches" up around the bottom of the cake. I use a raised platform smaller than the cake itself so the fondant can drape down. I start on the top and smooth down. How can I keep...
i just figured someone would have a good idea.... please help
Okay Ladies and Gents,I am making my first official wedding cake. It's a 4 tier fondant covered one. The first three tiers are going to be stacked with the 4th seperated. My question is would it be better to use a separaor plate with pillars or the push in pillar style? The bride wants to use some silk roses and calla lillies she found to do a cascade effect down the bottom tiers with what i call a 5 point bunch on the top tier. She doesn't want any flowers in the...
I have been approached to do a wedding cake for a client. This would be my first wedding cake to do. It will be a four tier, fondant covered cake plus the grooms cake. Can I just charge a base cost of $1.50 a serving or is this too much or two little? The cake itself will be rounds with different disigns on the sides of each tier. The grooms cake is a 12x18 double layer strawberry cake with a musical score on top, basketweave on the sides. What do you all think? I...
What will happen is the outside of the cake will be done, but not the center. Depending on how far along your cake is, i would try to put one in asap. I forgot to put my nails in once before, and just added them as soon as i remembered. It only had been in the oven about 10 mins though. If its starting to crust over and stabilize, try putting your nail in with the round on top instead of the bottom. You'll just be waiting and waiting for the middle of the cake to be...
I too have a crank shifter, a hand squeeze shifter, and two sizes of the mesh strainers. The squeeze sifter has only been used twice because like so many other of you, it hurt! I found my crank sifter at a kitchen outlet store, and it holds 6 or 8 cups. I love this. I even lucked out and one of my butter bowl lids fit pertectly on top so I don't have to worry about ps or flour flying out and I crank as fast as I can to get the job done quickly. I find myself using the...
I had the best luck when I did one this size when I doubled my cake board but I also used my large cooling rack for that "extra" support when I flipped it. Just hold on tight and go for it!