Posts by ButtercupMama

I think amount varies greatly from area to area, and different bakeries and different skill levels!If you have not worked in the field, be prepared to start at min wage, and work as a bakery clerk first. I'm not saying you won't score a sweet job right off the bat, especially if you have great photos, but just be mentally prepared!I get a little wary when people call asking about a decorator job, because it seems that some have no intention of washing dishes, helping...
Yeah, I am making a Cake Boss show cake this week for chump change! Hee hee, actually my normal pricing, and I know I'm no Cake Boss, but if they think I'm expensive, I know they have no idea what the one on tv costs! I SOOOO wish they would say the retail price every time they show a completed cake; that would really help... I have considered writing to some of these shows and pleading with them to do this!!
I was decorating for 7 years before I started charging people for cakes; and nine years after that, I opened a legal business....so 16 years in all before I became a real business! Crikey, am I old?!??
Okay, I see what you guys are saying about the WOW-factor dummy!I've always avoided extravagant dummies, so I don't have to answer "How much is THAT?!" all day, knowing it will be a long explanation which might result in them thinking I am overpriced, cuz they only asked about the WOW cake. (Not that they would ever order something so showy)I generally put out simple, but pretty fakes that real people around here might actually order. Maybe I will make a WOW dummy! ...
"We make incredible cakes...naturally!" (fabulous) (artistic)("Specializing in)"Tasteful... as Mother Nature intended!""Lot-Us bake up a masterpiece just for you!"(okay, that was silly, but I couldn't resist. Ever since I saw a sign for a taco shop that said 'Taco 'bout good!' I've been a little off-kilter with the tagline giggles.)
Yeah, if he wants to go upscale, giving back the goofy bits is not the way. I agree, you are the employee, and should do how he asks. Of course.But I do like my employees' input, especially when it saves me embarrassment cuz I'm doing something goofy. Perhaps the policy he should implement, is to tell the customer right off the bat that they are paying more for the labor, but receiving less product, as it is labor-intensive, and it is a novelty. Let them make the...
I've done a bunch of them, but I'm always looking for that EDGE. You know what I'm talking about So how do YOU stand out form the crowd?Give out freebies of some kind? Wear nothing but whipcream?? C'mon people, let's hear those ideas!!
Yeah, thanks for that input; I can imagine that just offering the budget line would really bring people in the door! And as for the minimalist decor that tends to be popular now, I was just mentioning to someone this afternoon how much I love doing 50th wedding anniversary replica cakes! Because after so much smoothing and perfection-type work, I just love whooping it up with my pastry bags...all those fluffs and puffs of the 1950's frosting, (now approaching the 60's). ...
Yeah, the couple in the lobby DID decide to have their cake delivered. I do love it when I have a particularly fussy couple in the lobby, and a return customer happens to walk in and start raving about how fabulous we are. Sometimes the timing is so perfect, I think it must be an angel in disguise.
I recently had a bride who was marrying a mathematics professor, and their cake was covered with infinity symbols and about 10 different mathematical symbols repeated, piped randomly all over the sides, white on white. When you stepped back, it just looked like a random pattern.This spring I had a bride who wanted edible image b&w photos of herself and the groom all around the sides of the cake tiers. When she submitted the original photos to me, I could see in the...