Posts by ButtercupMama

Yeah, this is a tough one. As far as the bride is concerned, I'd say the Big Picture is that she really dodged a bullet as far as getting married to someone she shouldn't; and that is what will make the difference in her life, over time, not the cake money.But I know you need some answers, so I'll just put in my two cents. I agree with the other girls about being a business. And I've had to give the news to sad brides twice; that they signed a contract, and I would not...
GOOD NEWS!I found a phone # at the bottom of the Pillsbury site. (I had to write a letter to them 2 years ago, so I was thrilled to see I could speak to someone)After several transfers, I spoke to someone who works for General Mills, and supplies bulk mixes to these giant local food suppliers (like Dawn, Bakemark, etc.) She said that the company I use for weekly deliveries actually DOES have access to her Pillsbury cake mixes, but they do not choose to purchase them...
I will! I know my main supplier doesn't carry it. I will call my secondary place and see if they do. That would be awesome.
Oh and on THAT note, I think I may just start commenting on what's in other people's carts:Two jugs of cheap wine and a horoscope mini mag......"Long day, huh?"Soda, sugar cereal and wonder bread......."You weren't planning on feeding this junk to your kids, are you?"Powerade, milk, and 20 tv dinners.........."So, newly divorced?"Beer and condoms........Loud singsongy voice: "I know what SOMEbody's doin tonight!"Cheetos, Snickers bars, and maxi pads.........Okay, I won't...
Sorry guys I was babbling like a maniac earlier. I just get so stressed when I'm at work, I can't think straight!What I should have said was, I had been using Pillsbury for years and years. Since I've opened my shop a few years back, business has snowballed, and we were going thru maybe 120 boxes of mix per week on a busy week. As you can imagine, this was getting annoying to buy, and even by the case, I had problems getting what I needed. I was spending 2-3 hours per...
BUT for years, I filled up cart after cart of mix at the grocery store. I couldn't take it anymore. We are doctoring the commercial mix to beat the band, and it is just not as good.SO HERE IS MY QUESTION/PLEA TO YOU!How are you guys getting these mixes in bulk??I know Pilsbury will only distribute to groc/walmart stores. I have tried at 5 different local grocery stores and Walmarts to order thru them. It's like a freaking circus; they forget to place my order, they are...
And speaking of reviews...Google your company name and the word reviews.You might also throw in the name of your city if you have a common sounding business name.AND, I have checked reviews on other bakeries in my large city; many of them have bad reviews clearly written by po'd customers as well. I'm not the minority.
Let's see,Merchant CircleDecidioYelpKudzuAngies List Parents ConnectThese are not wedding sites, and they are just the ones off the top of my head. These are sites at which you can review businesses. They don't have anything to do with my business; I am listed as automatically as you would be in a phone book. I don't have a place for folks to leave their feedback on my website, otherwise of course I would delete the yellers. And trust me, I am trying to troubleshoot...
What do you do when people get on these nightmarish review sites, and rip you a new one? It's completely horrifying; they can say whatever they want. Nice for freedom of speech, bad for psychos.The thing about reviews are, I get customers galore who are beyond thrilled with their cakes. They go crazy over them! About one in 500 seem to have a problem they cannot deal with, and exhibit some really shameful behavior, in my lobby, or more commonly by phone/e-mail. I SO...
Yes, I agree, work part time at a bakery or something; this is a must. And yes, maybe a couple different bakeries... everyone does things differently; there is rarely a right way, I've found, except what works for hte individual shop. Do take all the business classes you can. and DO read the E-Myth by Michael Gerber, which will help you avoid pitfalls of being the talented baker/decorator, as well as the owner/manager.Culinary school is not necessary, but I don't think...