Posts by ButtercupMama

Hi there! I did the ol' bake from home for friends, family, and then it branched out and out and out... for about 8 years. Had a regular job, and did cakes in the evenings.I finally went ahead and rented a bit of space in a commercial kitchen, and operated there for about a year to segway into retail space.It worked like a charm, and my phone was ringing the very first day I opened up shop, retail. Business has snowballed since! This was a great way to do it, for me,...
Okay, I think most have us have found this little gem in our e-mail "inbox":I will like you to bake me chocolate and Vanilla cake of 5 tier that can serve approximately 300 guest or more , and I want the cake to be decorated with pink roses and the cake should be covered in fondant or in butter cream, and there will be an inscription writing on the side of one of the tier as “HAPPY MARRIED LIFE” and i want you to pack them in different boxes to be ready for pick up...
Pounds gained???5.(for me, anyhow!) Yeah, it's pretty shocking to see how much ingredients you blow thru, huh? But, that means, business is good!!
I use a Pillsbury white mix, and replace most of the water in the recipe with pink champagne. I just use Andre Pink Champagne; it should cost less than $5 for a bottle. Just use egg whites, as it calls for, not the full egg, as if you were making white cake. I can't remember exactly how much water it calls for, but if it says 1 cup water, then use 3/4 cup pink champagne, and 1/4 cup water.If it says 1 1/4 cups water, then use 1 cup pink champagne, and 1/4 cup water.HTH!!
I also needed one for a dummy cake, and mooched one out of a pile of costume jewelry an elderly relative was getting rid of. If I had to find one now, on the quick and cheap, I'd go to the mall to Forever 21. They've got scads of cheap gaudies!
Hey Patty, If you decide you don't want yours, I could be tempted to drive out to LA to buy it from you!! Seriously, my kids would love to hit the beach, and it would be a great excuse for a short roadtrip. PM me if you want to sell it!
I wouldn't go with anything that sounds too cliche or common, cuz it's just been done too many times, and like one of the girls said, if you take it to the next level, it can be very difficult to change. For many years, I baked for friends, family, and so on, and as my hobby/business grew, I had some cards printed up for reference that had my name, and said Cake Designer underneath, with my phone number. It was just enough for people to keep as reference. I began using...
HI! I did coupon envelope mailers for about 6 months when I first opened. I also was trying to introduce myself to surrounding neighborhoods. I'm not really sure if we made our money back on it, but it did bring some people in the door. I think it will depend on what type of business you have and what your location is like. If you are very available for walk-in traffic, and bakery case sales, I think it could be a good thing. But most of our income comes from folks...
Okay; I think I might look for something used; last I checked they were like 400 bones, right? Anyone get a smokin deal anywhere? Also, can you point it at the side of a cake, say for instance to pipe on a wedding cake monogram or something?Thanks!!
Hmmm, I wonder if we are talking two different Pilsbury bulk products? With the Bakers Plus (I think that's what it is called; I am at home, and don't have access) we told by the Pils rep to add the eggs, oil and water, to "replicate" what is found in the groc. store. We don't torte, but bake the layers separately, and found that building/shaping/sculpting was maddening due to crumbliness. Of course, we are located in a dry climate, so that could certainly be a factor,...