Posts by ButtercupMama

Hey guys, I am looking for the formula/ratio for how much paramont crystals need to be blended with how much candy melts for the Kathy Scott Petit fours molds. I normally wing it, but am trying to teach someone else to do it consistently. And yes, I did several searches, which I really suck at.
We have considered doing this to get our name "out there" and also access a client base that already believes in shopping local! We have not had time to do it though... I'd give it a shot if you can, and you feel it might suit you. I really like the idea of the quarter samples in addition to everything else. I bet those will go like hotcakes! ...oooor... heads of lettuce, as it were.
My storefront has extremely limited space, however I like to keep my favorite vendors' cards and brochures out. It's making a royal mess. I have considered putting them in a book/album, but I have so many other albums out, I know it would rarely get picked up. I wouldn't mind an acrylic wall mounted display, but I have not been able to find one that would suit cards, postcards, brochures, etc. Does anyone have any creative ideas that are aesthetically pleasing and...
I should also add that if I were to divorce and re-marry, I would NOT use the same decorator. Because frankly I'm just too busy to make my own wedding cake. (again.)
Okay, I think I may be the record-holder here....Same bride married twice, the same year!! About 8 months apart, I think.I was like, hey, you look familiar! She said, ( a little sheepishly)" You did a wedding for me back in March... new guy now." Oh, man, I just tried to act like that happened all the time. But what a compliment that that ordered again! An expensive one too! Now that's a great customer!
I put a big garbage bag over my seasonal dummies when I store them, to keep the dust off. While they're on display, just an occasional feather dusting should keep the funk off! As far as the buttercream/royal debate, it's good to know that Debi's BC recipe works and hardens like that over a bit of time! I have used royal to simulate BC on dummies in the past and you really have to work at high speed when icing them! I may try Debi's recipe next time; (my standard BC...
When I saw your bunny cake picture, it also occurred to me that you're going to want plenty of pictures around; on the walls, or dummy cakes, all customized. Consider one of those big flippie things that holds flat mylar balloon designs or posters, so folks can stand and look thru finished designs rather than at a little album. Each picture can say what is shown: [8" round cake+ #40 Peach Bow + #25 Bunny+ Tag]Many people cannot envision things finished, so they will see...
I get this all the time:"So how much are the cakes?"Today I said to someone, "Anywhere from $20 to $1000." I think later I'm gonna walk into Target and ask someone, "Hey, how much is this stuff?" and point around at the whole store.
I really like this idea, and when I was forming my original plans, I wanted to do something similar! I ended up adapting away from that, because I don't have enough space in the storefront, and mainly, because we don't get enough walk-in traffic. For months when I first opened, we'd keep a few "ready-to-go" cakes in the bakery case. They almost never sold. Folks would walk in, and want a cake, but not that size, or not that flavor, etc. So I totally think it would be...
I use it selectively. I put $20 in my account also, and then if a "lead" comes in for a cake for 10 people, I blow it off. If the the lead sounds halfway decent I might respond, and pay the dollar. But to be honest, I really don't know how many of these folks are actually calling us up. I'm finding more and more sites that offer vendors free listings are doing this, and I'd go broke, and waste a lot of time if I paid for every single lead. It may be worth a shot tho,...