Posts by meghanb

Thanks!
I am working on a wedding cake order with six (!) half sheet cakes and a tiered cake. I've made half sheet cakes before, but I don't use as much batter, so the cakes don't bake right to the top. This time though, the cakes are baking nice and high, which is good. Every time I test them, the middle is always done, the sides pull away from the pan and the top bounces back when I touch it.However.The last two cakes I just made, I decided to level before I wrapped them. ...
This cake has been the biggest thorn in my side....and the customer is my own mother! :SOkay, the cake is for my grandfather, who is turning 80. She wants it as a sheet cake (11x15), with him and my grandmother in a car, with his golf clubs and guitar in the backseat. And then, signs all the way down the road....however, nothing to do with old age, etc. So far, I have want to do a sign for his birth, their marriage, signs with the kids' names, etc.The ones I am having...
Thank you. I knew I was over-thinking it, but I don't want my first major wedding cake to be a major flop (literally).Is it safe to do it without the centre dowel?I'm covering the cake in fondant, so I guess I could also cut a small piece to cover the hole as well. The cake doesn't have far to go, less than 3 miles.Does a dowel move easily through cardboard, or does it kind of rip throught the cake too? Blah, stupid brain, always working too hard. Time to go find...
I have a 4 tiered wedding cake coming up at the end of August - I am totally stressing about it because a)I've only ever done a 2 tier and b)it's for one of the richest, most hoity toity families in our town.I know I have to dowel each tier, and then I am guessing to be safe I should put a dowel through the whole thing. But I don't want a hole in the top tier...so would it work if I made the cake board from plywood, then screwed the dowel into it? I'd then cut an...
Those cakes look sooooo delicious!That bride is a nutbar.
The cake is not too big - about 6" x 12".Thanks so much for the help! Time to find a hot glue gun.
I have a customer who wants a race care cake for this weekend. Only thing is, he wants the back of the car "jacked up". At first, I thought what I would do is set the cake up on a triangular base - I wish I could draw a picture of it, so it would make sense! What I mean is one long side of the triangle would be on the cake board, a short side would be holding up the back end of the car, and then the other long end would be against the cake (gosh, I hope that makes...
They look great!The only suggestion I would have is to somehow make the eyes more pronounced. Maybe doing them out of white fondant with a black dot?
The picture really does cut off the bottom tier. I actually found the original picture on the decorator's website, and emailed him. He said he cut all the shapes from fondant BY HAND to match the invitations! Yikes! I think I will probably do a damask stencil....although the colours are coral (pink), orange and yellow, which to me is pretty funky, and damask seems more classic. So I am still thinking on that.Here is a full picture if anyone is curious...