Posts by Lambshack

An electric pencil sharpener (just for dowels) works great! Just cut the dowel to the height you will need, and then get a real sharp tip on one end. It will go thru your boards without any problems. I thought I read about one lady who used thin MDF or Luwan boards instead of cardboard, but each one had a large hole in the middle (like a donut) so she didn't have to worry about spearing anything. As long as you are pretty much in the center, you should be able to put an...
I would put a cardboard round under each layer, with straws cut to the exact height in the layers below. For instance:2 cardboards or drum board for base; then cake, frosting, cake; smaller cardboard round; cake, frosting, cake; then smallest cardboard round; cake, frosting, cake. Once its all stacked up, sharpen a dowel the approximate height of the total cake structure, and spear it right thru the very top of the center of the cake tower. When it gets close to being...
I had a request for tie-dye for a 70's theme party. I hand-painted the design on a t-shirt shaped cake - turned out really cute. Maybe you could do one of the layers like that? Its in my pics if you want to see details...
One of my most popular cakes is a light lemon cake with a spreading of raspberry preserves and then IMBC - very light and refreshing - not too sweet.
I did a western-themed shower cake and used various ideas - all except the cow pattern - but it might give you some ideas. Pics are in my gallery. It is a wedding after all - do they want something kitchsy with barnyard animals all over it or do they want something elegant with a hint of the cow? There are lots of cute ideas on here... I'm sure you'll find something to spark the creativity!Good luck and post pics!
Aren't we all so blessed?! After pulling all-nighters (which I don't recommend if you're more than 3 years out of college!) I wake up to find a 'silent auction' on my counters. I will leave the cakes ready for delivery on the counter in their boxes, and my DH leaves little post-it notes with these amazing prices of what HE thinks they are worth! I love that he thinks I am a million dollar baker, even if I barely push $100 out of a customer! He also is very patient and...
If you're really concerned about the sugar breaking down, you should use Everclear. The alcohol content is so much higher than Vodka. Vodka actually melts the powdered sugar, but Everclear does not. I didn't think anything of it until my cake supply store owner showed me two samples jars with vodka and everclear and some powdered sugar. The vodka was milky but liquid, and the everclear was actually liquid with powdered sugar floating at the bottom - not dissolved -...
I am also left handed but haven't made a ton of the flowers. I did buy some of the leftie tips and they worked out great, however I probably would have just trained myself to use the rightie tips and the proper twist direction anyway! They are definitely different!
http://www.foosecookiecutters.com/store/odds_ends-ss2.htmlTry this link... is this the one you are looking for?
There are several different shades of gold - personally I find Old Gold to be too brassy looking, but I think the Champagne color will not be dark enough. I think you should try to replicate the real instrument, not a picture, as the lighting in the photo may have affected the actual color. Sometimes, I mix different luster colors together to get the look I want. I have even used petal dust (for the color) with pearl dust (for the sparkle). You might try this....