Posts by Lambshack

I always use 4 eggs, and 1 cup each of flour, sour cream, and sugar. Then use the liquid amount called for on the box.Mine comes out great every time. Don't forget to flavor it with your choice of extract.I do know that there is a fine line between underbaked, done, and overbaked. Not enough time - the top layer stays very gooey. Too much time - looks dry and cracked.Don't give up! I also purposelu underbake my cupcakes because they dry out much quicker than a full...
Help! I understand that this has been in the works for quite a while, however I didn't seriously consider this until I mentioned it to my mom the other day. She told me to book it - "sounds like a lot of fun; I might even want to attend some of the sessions."Sooooo, after the happy dance and gathering my thoughts, I completed the online reservation request - twice, as we added more participants, and yet I still haven't received a reply, and the deadline for full payment...
I am having to make a brain cake and I was hoping to brush the fondant detail part with some diluted piping gel to get that really gross, slimey effect, but just realized that the gel will probably dissolve my fondant!What to do??? Any other ideas or solutions that might work?Cake is being picked up tomorrow before church! I need help please!Thanks in advance,Lisa
I roll out the fondant really thin, then cut wavy strips about 3/4" wide. They do not have to be even or perfectly straight. Then I just tuck one end under itself and start rolling, pinching at the base to allow the 'petals' to form. I end up with a long wad of 'wasted fondant' that I just pinch off and reroll once I am out of strips. I have more fondant leftover as waste than what it took to make the flower.That's my easy trick. The hardest part is keeping my...
My late grandmother baked cakes all her life, and she always used an old towel torn into strips, then soaked in water and wrung out, then safety-pinned them to the sides of her cake pans, and rarely did she have to trim a domed top! She grew up with the waste-not, want not generation and learned to make the best of things.So, no need to wait on those fancy commercial bake strips - I'm sure you have an old towel and some large safety pins lying around! (The ones made for...
I know someone out there will have some good ideas! 8 year old boy party at the local Health Museum this weekend. They will be watching a 3D movie about ticks and dustmites and other parasites (hostess already suggested a dustmite cake???) or maybe something with a skeleton since they learn about body parts and functions, etc.Any ideas??? Please??? I am truly drawing a blank on this theme!Thanks in advance for any suggestions!Lisa
I have the original Ronco (I think that's what its called) dehydrator that they sold as a way of making homemade jerky and fruit roll-ups, etc.I cut parchment circles to fit the trays (with a hole cut in the center) and I lay my fondant bows, curls, ribbons, etc - basically anything that I need to dry out quickly because I didn't plan far enough ahead! LOLI would not recommend using it for very thick, 3D items as it doesn't dry consistently thruout and you end up with a...
I hope someone can give me some inspiration. I have an order for a man's 70th birthday this Saturday (see the urgency?) and his wife is dying to finally surprise him for the first time in 46 years! A friend gave her my name, and she is praying for a miracle. I think we've got the surprise part worked out, but here is what she has told me about Joe Ed (yes, he goes by 2 first names), other than he likes chocolate cake and chocolate frosting.He is a retired general...
You do not have to use 'drinking alcohol' - you can easily use any clear extract like almond or lemon to dilute the paste just enough to make a thick goo. That should work just as well as Everclear (my choice!).Good luck!
I rarely cover entire cakes with fondant, so I prefer to use the Crisco, but I don't get a shiny effect at all. I use a silicon mat to roll out on, and a little crisco spread on the rolling pin works great for me.