Posts by missyek

Yes, it is best to freeze a cake before carving. If you don't freeze it, most cakes are too soft and will just crumble while you try to create a shape. As long as you wrap the cake properly to freeze, it should not alter the taste or consistency at all. HTH
You are more than welcome! Yup, I got the refills from kopykake (or Pfeil and Holing--don't remeber that place I ordered inks from... ) But they really do come handy in a pinch. Also, do you have the chip resetter? You can get that from KK for $15 and that is a big lifesaver as well. Epson printers are notorious for saying the cartridges are empty when you still have lots of ink left in them--and it won't let you print until you put in a new cartridge or reset it. ...
Hmmmm. Maybe the standard cover their butt lines? I just go by what kopykake says which is if I print it ahead of time, I can just store it back in the ziploc. I think you can actually damage the sheets if you freeze them, but I really don't know. I use the edible images on BC, fondant and gumpaste. Works fine with either! With fondant and gum paste, you need to get the surfacea little damp first to have the image stick. You would have to do the same with BC if...
The people at kopykake are fantastic and have helped me in very many jams. You can run the regular inks through it to help clear it up, but I understand your reservations completely--I'm the same way. Unfortunately with the Epsons, the print head is not removable like the Cannons which made it a bit easier to unclog it. I did have my Epson dry up once because of not using it for a long period of time. Pretty much, you will go through a LOT of ink to clear it up. I...
You can keep them in a ziploc bag--they usually will come in some form of one. Keep it in a cool place--no need to put in the fridge. I have my own printer, so I do a lot of little images and save them for later.
Sure the moostar could work! And ACK!! Totally forgot about those new Americolors--DUH! I even want to buy some!
You can use Nu-silver luster dust mixed with a clear extract of alcohol. Remember of things to keep in mind:Depending on you aribrush, it may get clogged with the dust mixture. If you think it down well, you may reduce the risk, but make sure you clean it well right when you are finished.Nu-Silver will not give you a high silver sheen like a your good silver flatware, but it will be a good silver, nontheless.HTH
The tiara in my photos is made out of gum paste, but there are a number of fix-it spots with royal icing. I just use vodka (and even if people nibble, the alcohol has already evaporated when it has dried, so there is no worries there... ) and mix it with what ever dust I need to use. The amount of dust to alcohol ratio is all dependendant on what you want. If there is too much dust--the mixture will be thick and pasty and too hard to paint on. If there is too little...
D isco dust will stick to anything so there is no need to add piping gel at all. I use it ALL the time on BC and fondant cakes and just blow it on.
Check out this post: http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-54059.html