Posts by QueenOfSweets

I require a 50% non-refundable deposit to book, with the balance paid in full 3 weeks prior to the event. Occasion cakes are the same for me. Cupcakes (other than for weddings), cake pops, cookies, etc. are paid in full at the time of booking. All orders placed less than 1 month in advance require full payment at the time of booking.
I use Satin Ice, sugarshack's buttercream, never refrigerate my cakes and have transported 3 and 4 tiered cakes up to 3 hours away over bumpy county roads with no cracking whatsoever. The key for me is my SPS system. I place the cake into a box with no-skid shelf liner under the cake board so the cake doesn't slide inside the box. I then place the no-skid shelf liner under the cake box in the back of my SUV. I make sure that my vehicle has been completely cooled down...
This past weekend I did a five-tier cake with two faux separators and had to travel 3 hours away via county highways that were incredibly rough. I transported in three sections, and one of those sections was a 6-8-10 square stacked. All sections were iced in buttercream then covered in fondant. The weather was 92 degrees and humid. I used SPS and made sure that the boxes didn't sit in direct sunlight. We made it without a single dragee falling off. If you follow the...
I recently purchased some from discountsugarflowers. com and was very pleased with both the quality and price.
I made a wedding cake recently that was banana cake with chocolate buttercream. I had some leftover batter frozen, so I've been using it for one of my tasting sample flavors. Once people taste it, they love it and I've been getting many more that choose banana. I've had banana with peanut butter filling; banana with strawberry cream filling; banana with pineapple filling. They all were surprisingly very good!
There are multiple components to my answer so I'll try to be as clear as possible.1) I use SPS exclusively. I consider the SPS plates and pillars for each cake disposable and build the cost into my prices.2) I charge a rental fee for non-disposable equipment like stands, etc. The rental fee is equal to roughly 1/3 of the purchase price.3) I also require an equipment deposit in the amount of the full replacement cost of all rented equipment. The customer gets this back if...
I also deliver in boxes. Wal-Mart and the Uhaul store are my sources usually. I also set all cakes in the back of my vehicle because the surface is flat. I'm leary about setting anything on the seat because it's slightly sloped. I've heard stories of too many disasters with cakes on vehicle seats!
I've delivered a 5-tiered cake (6-8-10-12-14) an hour. It was fully decorated with gumpaste leaves and flowers. I expected to have some repair or replacement due to breakage, but not a single one moved. I had an assistant to help me lift it of course. I swear by SPS!
I was having the same problem when I started doing dessert tables, so I created a spreadsheet to help me calculate pricing. Here's a previous post I made that included the link to the resource for others to use. I've had great luck using it. Hope this helps!http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-7152932-.html#7152932
I've built PVC structures for 3D cakes and RKT figures in the past with no problem. I now need to build a RKT figure that holds an 8" square cake. Below is the PVC structure that I've sketched out. The PVC armature will be 15.75" tall, and the figure itself will be 18" tall from top of the head to foot. The upheld arm will have a flange at the top that is attached to an 8" square masonite board. That board will then hold the 8" square cake.My question is: will the 8"...