Posts by chovest

Anyone....
For a graduation cake, I'm making a four wheeler (ATV) out of RKT. The forecast is 85 degrees, and my friend doesn't have A/C. She plans to leave the cake sit out and serve the other cakes first. So, I'm trying to determine what will be best for covering the RKT. I know both fondant and modeling chocolate are sensitive to heat. I don't know that I really want to use gumpaste due to the expense (as well as the fast drying time...I'm kind of slow.) Based on your...
I prefer royal icing for attaching items to fondant. It can be colored easily, and doesn't set up in the piping bag like chocolate does. If you prefer to use chocolate, you can keep it in a dish on a heating pad or in water in an electric skillet or warmer on low to keep it from setting up. Because the chocolate sets up quicker, it may be a better option depending on the application and how heavy the item being attached is. Hope this helps.
The video on the product website suggests letting it sit over night or place in fridge to set up and harden so it isn't sticky. Here is a link to their video. It seems like it may be helpful. HTH.http://www.designerstencils.com/Videos/ButterCream/ButterCream.html
I find ivory to work best as well. The flesh tone for the Strawberry Shortcake cake below (if I can attach it) was colored with only ivory. Hope this helps.
I will agree that not all store brands taste the same as national brands...at least for certain products. Products with multiple ingredients can easily taste "off." For things like butter and other basic products, I can't tell a difference. After all, butter is cream, salted butter is cream and salt. There isn't a whole lot of room for messing it up.
Here is the link to the cake ball tutorial in the article section on CC.http://cakecentral.com/article67-How-To-Make-Cake-Balls.html
Here's a recipe you may want to try:2 c graham cracker crumbs1 c soda cracker (saltines) crumbs1/2 c margarine, melted2 small boxes instant vanilla pudding mix2 c milk1 pint vanilla ice cream5 c whipped topping5 regular size butterfingers (crushed)Mix graham and soda cracker crumbs with melted margarine. Press all but 2/3 c into bottom of 9 x 13 pan. Mix pudding with mailk, blend in icecream. Pour over crust and refrigerate 2 hours until set. Spread whipped topping...
If you can't find a 3.5" square you can always buy a 4.5" round cutter, and bend it into a square. (Be careful not to pop the spot welds though.) A 3.5" square cutter has a perimeter of 14", a 4.5" round cutter has a perimeter of about 14.13" (2 x pi x r) which I would think would be close enough. Good luck.
I would do the base and stem out of wood and cover it with fondant. (Screw a dowel rod into a wooden circle. You will need to pre-drill so the dowel doesn't split, and counter sink it on the bottom so the screw doesn't stick out and cause the base to rock.) You can then attach a smaller wooden circle to the top of the stem. It would probably be easiest to use styrofoam for the tapered bottom of the glass part with cake on top of that. Does this make sense? Hope it...