Posts by bisbqueenb

You can also add a bit of fondant and kneed it in. This will soften the gumpaste as well as add some 'working' time to give you a chance to work on the flowers!
Depending on what size you want to make, you can print out a picture of a hummer, cover it with saran wrap and then model the gumpaste using the printed picture as a template....you can make it 3D or just cut it out with an exacto knife for a 'flat' version. Color with dusts etc.
Super Glue! just a dab and it will hold the broken petals! Learned this in one of the flower classes at Cake Camp...was either Norm Davis or Nicholas Lodge's class....now I keep a bottle of the stuff handy...they even have ones with little brushes...like nail polish....so much easier than having to put a drop on the right place!
I have been a 4H judge for a LONG time....maybe 15 years now....and for our judging standard, we want to see what can they do with the buttercream or fondant or even royal IF it is what the project would normally call for. We would not be impressed to see a sanded royal icing presentation! We want to see what the kids have learned to do, what products they are learning to use, and how well they follow the rules in the premium book! example....If a cupcake display calls...
Also great use for covering cake boards. I like to use up all my 'leftovers' that way....can actually be make well in advance and kept for future use. I love to use large 12" or 16" ceramic tiles covered with the left over fondant, rolled out with decorative rolling pins... and later airbrushed the appropriate color for what ever cake I decide to use it for.
My old standby is an old lazy-susan turntable! nothing fancy....big enough to hold my cakes. I see them a lot at thrift stores!
This is how I have done round styro balls...start with a thicker piece of fondant [semi flattened out ] and starting at the top of your 'head' press and smooth as you go pushing it toward the bottom. This worked for me much better than rolling it out and trying to get the creases out! It also helps to soften the fondant in the microwave first, to make to more pliable. Then when you get to the 'bottom' smooth and pinch off the excess....and roll the whole ball in your...
I did a class once where each person had input as to what I would include in the classes. I had one young lady who REALLY wanted to make her own wedding cake, so we included everything she would need to learn to do that! And she was good at it....did beautiful flowers and borders, had no problem with the baking etc. But a couple weeks before the wedding, and after a lot of practice, she called me and begged me to make her cake! I know she had all the skills needed to...
You can use 'grocery store' food coloring or 'airbrush colors'......doesn't matter which one you choose as long as you CLEAN your airbrush after every use! It makes no difference to the airbrush which one you use....the advantage to the airbrush colors is the color choices....generally with the less expensive generic ones [ I get them in quart bottles at Smart and Final] you are limited to the primary colors which is fine as you can mix your colors to make ANY color ! ...
I've had my airbrush for over 30 years, so this was not new to me, but I thought some of you who are new or thinking about getting one would benefit from this video. It goes into detail about all the parts of an airbrush, how to take it apart for cleaning and should make handling one a little less intimidating!http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kjxfScPdu40#!