Posts by ashleyj

Me too! If I'm decreasing the butter by that much then it has to be better! I'm so anxious to try it and I will def let you know how it turns out. Thank You
Ok, w/your measurements then I'd be decreasing the butter amount by 1 stick which is a lot. So, I am anxious to try this and hopefully it will do the trick. Thank You!!
Suzanne, The recipe I followed was 5 egg whites with 1/4 cup sugar and for the sugar water 1 cup sugar with 1/4 cup water. I added 1 pound of butter. I was also reading where salted butter increases the buttery taste and this is what I used so I'm wondering if that had an impact on the flavor. I can handle a buttery flavor and I wasn't expecting an overly sweet icing but this taste was very buttery and almost greasy tasting. I felt like I was eating a stick of butter. If...
So, I made the IMBC tonight for the first time. Watched a video and followed the instructions very carefully. The texture is silky and shiny but it tastes like butter to me! What did I do wrong? I let the sugar water get to a temp of 245 and started pouring into the egg white mixture but I noticed that some of the sugar water hardened on the side of the pot that I was pouring from. Did I cook the sugar water too long and therefore didn't get enough flavor added to the...
I've been viewing the gallery for square wedding cakes and I notice several where the bottom tier appears to be double in height. And then the tiers above it look normal size. And I've also seen others where the bottom and top tier are normal height and the middle tier is much taller in height. I like the look of these and was wondering if the "taller" tier is actually 2 tiers the same size stacked and iced on top of each other. Or are they just tall layers baked in 3-in...
Does anyone know how to achieve this look? It looks like modeling chocolate but I'm not sure and I prefer not to use fondant. Trying to get this thin, delicate look. Any suggestions are appreciated!
My sheet cake is only one cake torted and filled. The ball is already on a cardboard round but I just couldn't believe how heavy it turned out to be.So if I support it w/several straws you think I will be okay?
Hello Everyone!I am making a soccer ball cake and placing it on top of a sheet cake. The problem I am having is the soccer ball is chocolate w/ganache filling and the finished product is extremely heavy. I can't imagine resting it on top of a 14x9 sheet cake without it sinking thru the cake. I don't think the sheet cake is tall enough to support the soccer ball. But maybe I'm wrong. Will straws/dowels placed in the sheet cake be enough support? I am open for any...
If you cover the cake board w/fondant, do you ever have a problem with it tearing?Also, what is contact paper and where do you buy it?
Yes, I was thinking of a glass dish or comparable but I love the idea of a gumpaste bowl. That is a great idea and it won't be as heavy. Thank you!!