Posts by shooterstrigger

it also depends on what county you live in. In Douglas county you can not spend more than 3 days a week in the cake business, no more than 30% of your income can come from cakes, and in no way can you advertise. Simply creating a menu of choices is considered advertising. This informantion is from a douglas county health inspector
the cakes are beautiful. There is only one picture in the client area. By the time she was done with her "budget" cake, it cost her $1000. I guess if I were going to spend that kind of money I would want something more creative and personalized.
A RECIPE EVERYONE SHOULD KNOW The most dangerous cake recipe5 MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE 4 tablespoons flour4 tablespoons sugar2 tablespoons cocoa1 egg3 tablespoons milk3 tablespoons oil3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)a small splash of vanilla extract1 large coffee mug Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly.Pour in the milk and oil and mix well. Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla extract, and mix again.Put your mug in...
Anyone can put an add on Craigslist but I wouldn't if you are not legal. My health dept gal told me they have been fining people they find on CL lately. In a lot of states bartering falls under the same guidline as selling so be careful. I know cakes are pretty low risk but you just never know anymore. I am not a gambler and can't afford to risk a lawsuit or fine for a hobby and can't afford to make it more than that at this point. Good luck
http://www.winbeckler.com/roland.aspYou have to take a look at this guys website. Can you believe this is all cake?!
In Douglas county you can not get a kitchen attatched to your home liscenced. You can bake in your home as long as you do not bake more than three days a week and do not advertise. To even make a list of options and prices is considered advertising.
He makes money because he has little compition. If you ask people in Omaha about cake the first thing they will say is The Cake Gallery.There are three shops listed in the phone book who aren't restraunts or grocery stores. At $1.75 he is actually one the the expensive bakeries around here. That is why it is next to impossible to start up here. You can't legally do business in your home and at less than $2.00 a serving you have to really crank out some cakes to get by.
Rolled buttercream is great for cookies! You can use the same cutter as the ookie to cut a piece then put it on a warm cookie. It will melt slightly to stick. SOooomuch easier and neater than RI
The parade is a hassle! You can deliver Friday afternoon and evening. Then you can pull up to drop off.
It is definately worth going if you are close. The enrollment is really low because it is the same weekend as Oklahoma. The local craft stores were very generous so ther are nice gifts for entrants.