Posts by janebrophy

aargh! For some reason i can't upload the pic....hmmm...
This is the second time I've seen this effect on a cake, and I'm in love with it! Anyone know how it's done???
LOL cownsj, it's like doing a public service right?
We need to do a scratch off for Red Velvet!!!
Ponderiffic, here you go...sorry about that, I don't know why I didn't include it in the first place!http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/recipe/red-velvet-cake?comments_page=1I didn't try the frosting that usually goes with a red velvet cake, my bride only wanted regular buttercream....
Just a final note, after baking and eating (back to the gym I go!) a lot of red velvet recipes, my winner turned out to be Martha Stewart's RV. I was disappointed, I'm not a fan of MS, but her cake was fabulous. It baked up perfectly level in the pans, and tasted delicious. Firm cake, but not too heavy, and it was very moist. And, as with most scratch cakes, it got better and better everyday!
I didn't realize that recipes were either buttermilk or vinegar. I have seen buttermilk only or a combination of the two, never just vinegar...Man, this is a project! LOL!
Wow, Thank you for all of your replies! I wan't getting notifications!I have done nothing all weekend but research RV, lol...Since this is for a wedding cake, I would like to have a cake that does stay moist. Sarah's did that! I just gave away the last piece last night, so it sat from Friday night until Sunday night in my glass cake dome, and was not at all dry. I have also heard that Martha Stewart's recipe is very good. I NEVER use Martha recipes, but I think I will...
Darn, I had this same result and thought I was crazy for noticing! Anyone know why this happens??? I didn't use vinegar, it wasnt' called for in the recipe....
Thanks Bobbi, I'll take a look for that one too! LOL, I'm gonna have to find somewhere to send all of these trial cakes! I don't think I want to have a Christmas red colour....I did notice some debate on whether or not vinegar is necessary in RV, and I wonder if maybe it might just "brighten" up the colour a bit...