Posts by nashsmom

Sorry it took me a while to reply, had a cake to do after work last night. In my first Wilton class, my instructor told me about the meringue powder to make a cake rise higher. I have used it since then with good results. I haven't thought about using an extra egg white. For me it is easier to use the meringue powder rather than beating the egg white separately, then folding in to the cake batter.
I use only 1 mix for a 9 x 13 and add 2 tablespoons of meringue powder to the batter. Don't have any problems. Are you beating the cake mix per package directions?
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&member_id=2578&cat=0&pos=1I did 60 of these for a baby shower. Her decorations were done in blue, yellow & white. Used a dab of icing to hold the cookies securely on the poster board, then put them into a treat bag tied with a ribbon to match to her decoration colors.
Royal icing-stiff consistency3 Tb meringue powder4 cups powdered sugar5 Tb water if you are using a KitchenAid or other heavy duty stand mixer. Use 6 Tb water if you aren't using a stand mixer. Beat 7-10 minutes on low, keeping mixer & bowl covered with a damp cloth. As Doug said, just add a little water at a time to this until you have the correct consistency you need.
It is similar to fondant in texture and decorating uses, but not in taste.
I love the 1/2 butter and 1/2 crisco recipe for everything but roses. The Wilton class buttercream (all crisco) with meringue powder added in produces the best roses for me. For a pure white frosting, dream whip frosting is wonderful. Experiment with different recipes. I am sure you will find one or two that work best for you too!
Wilton recommends using a heating core in any pan 10" or larger. I just use a flower nail placed upside down in the pan with the flat part of the flower nail resting on the bottom of the pan in the center. I coat the nail with cake release and it is easily removed from the cake when cooled.
Squirrellycakes, I also use Alice's cookie icing. The butter added with the royal icing ingredients gives it a wonderful flavor, and the icing sets up nice so that the cookies can be wrapped or stacked after drying, but still stays soft when you bite into the cookie.
I make these cookies every year for Xmas. A little more work, but well worth it. They get raves everywhere I take them. The recipe came from the Busha of one of my good friends. The cookie part bakes up light & delicate so handle with a gentle touch when filling them. You can use cookie cutters to get a different look for another holiday. I made them one year using a heart shaped cutter for my son to take to school for Valentines day. The teacher called me to get the...
I have a recipe that has passed down in my family for generations, which makes a fat, soft sugar cookie. Send me a pm and I can email it to you if you would like it. Thanks!