Posts by mistypup

I previously had bad experiences with 2 Cannon printers (below), so I just switched to an Epson Stylus nx-127 with KopyKake T1255SET-4 ink cartridges. Just got it today, and it does't recognize the cartridges. Any ideas why? And what can I do to fix this? Thanks for your help!My Cannon issues were as follows - - - after running the cleaning cycle enough times, both printers eventually froze up and would not print anymore. I also had the hardest time getting black to...
Jillfcs - - - - thanks for your help! Your cookies are absolutely gorgeous! I love your stick figures!
What's a good way to avoid color bleeding when icing cookies? I see so many cute designs on this site with black outlines and white icing on the cookies - - - and I'd like to know how to keep the thin black outline without it running into the lighter colored icing.In the past, I've used royal icing - - - is there a better recipe to use?For outlining in black with a contrasting color next to the outline, how long do you usually let the black dry before adding the next...
Since you have to travel a distance, another suggestion would be to do a 1/2 & 1/2 sphere - - - with the bottom 1/2 styrofoam (for stability/support) and the top 1/2 as sculpted cake. This way they can still cut into the top of the cake.
Can you get away with just doing the dog's head? If yes, that would be much easier to make (also simpler to scale for cupcakes). I would start with a ball of pink fondant, roll it slightly to get the snout, and add ears. For the white dots, I would roll white fondant very thin and cut the dots with a small round pastry tip. Then carefully press the dots into the dog's head and smooth out with your fingers.Or, if you have an extruder, you could extrude white fondant and...
Yep - you can do it either way. Here's what I've learned - - - you get a cleaner look if you roll them into your fondant before covering your cake, but you have to be careful because they can tear where the 2 colors meet (I like to roll my fondant super thin - - - this probably wouldn't be an issue if I had it a little thicker). Here's a cake I did this way (you can see a bit of the tearing on the giraffe print).http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1925985I've also added the...
I'm not familiar with that recipe, but if it's one you like and just want to add a bit more moisture you can add a simple syrup soak when you are filling it. Just bring equal parts water and sugar to a boil, cool, and lightly brush each layer of your torted cake with it before adding your filling.
Americolor Electric Pink gel color is good for coloring fondant. But if you have an airbrush, you can get a true hot pink with Americolor Electric Pink airbrush color.
To make an iphone cake, any great tips on how to get fine line detail (white on black)? If I just use white royal, the black will bleed through the white. Is there something I could add to the icing to keep it white? Or is there a way to paint it on with food color (but again, without the black coming through)?Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks for your help!
Quick question - maybe some of you know the answer......Sometimes when I pipe onto a fondant cake with royal icing, it will look fine initially but then later start to "melt" (for lack of a better word). For example, a piped pearl border might start to sag. Or a decorated design might slightly slide down the side of the cake. Not completely, but just enough to look sloppy. Why does this happen? And why does it happen sometimes, but not all of the time?I make my royal...