Posts by Starkie

I have this same problem ~ namely, will my carved cake be enough to serve the amount of people? You either need to charge for the full amount (say, 12 servings instead of , or, as I do, charge a higher rate for the carved cake. They are normally more labor intensive anyway, so why not charge more? I charge $2.50 for BC, $3.00 for fondant, and $4.00 for carved ~ this helps take care of the additional labor involved.HTH!
I covered my "leg" with BC and smoothed it out. Then I applied a thick (about 1/2") layer of fondant. The seam in the back was a pain, but hopefully I will hide it with the fishnet hose. Anyway, it came out pretty good, I think! And what woman's leg doesn't have a bit of cellulite, anyway???
2txmedics, as long as you put the RKT in the fridge to set up, you will be fine. It will get pretty hard, and then you can ice it with BC. I ived my leg with BC, then smoothed it out, then put on the fondant. The leg looks awesome (except where my seam is ~ that was really tough!), and it hardly has any bumps in it. Hopefully, once I put the SugarVeil lace on it (for the fishnet hose) it will look even better!Next time, I might try ganache and see how that works. As...
MAN! I found this too late! There is an auction today about 60 miles away for a bankrupt grocery store. They are auctioning off a Hobart mixer, as well as coolers and refrigerated display cases. I have too many cakes today to go to that one! Oh, well, I bookmarked the site and I'll keep checking. Thanks, Cakenicing, for the great site!!
I would LOVE to learn how to make blown sugar bubbles! I would really like to do a cake with them, but I don't know how to make them. However, there is a website where you can buy them:http://www.jeff-the-chef.com/store/made.htmlI've never purchased them, but I looked all over the web to find them, and this is the only place I found. Good luck, and let us know what you experience is!!!
Here is the "first leg" of my lamp! Thought you guys might want to see some pix of it coming together. My hubby made the base for me ~ 14" wooden round base from Lowe's, then an 8" glued on top of that. a 1 1/2" dowel is drilled into the base and runs through the leg. There will be a 12" wooden round on the top of the dowel (attached by a wooden pin) to hold the cake on top. So far, the leg base is 2 feet tall!Anyway, I think the initial RKT sculpting went well...
I am hand-molding the leg for the base of my cake now. I would think it would be easier than carving it. Don't make my mistake ~ wait until the RKT are completely cool before you start molding!!!Still waiting on others to chime in about coating the RKT before covering with fondant!
Do I need to coat my RKT with anything before covering with MMF? Like BC or piping gel? I'm covering a tall, vertical surface, and I don't want my fondant to slide down. TIA!!
Okay, I'm finally finished! I went into the school this morning, and we started at 10 am. Instead of 4 half hour sessions of 8 students each, we had 5 sessions with 6 students each, with a few extra students at the end. I ended up spending about 4 1/2 hours total on the cakes, since I needed to replenish icing and such mid-way through. In total, with baking, cutting out individual 4" cakes, icing, and instruction time, I think I spent about 12 hours total on this...
One of the teachers at my kids' school asked me to come in and teach a mini cake decorating class to her students. I agreed, and she paid the price of $5 per student (32 kids = $160). Now, I wanted to give the teacher a real break and make it reasonably priced, as it's almost the end of the school year. But I just finished icing 32 individual 4" cakes, and I still have to make and color the icing for the decorating, bring everything in, set up, and spend 2 hours (4 half...