Posts by Starkie

ljdills, what settings do you use for your Cricut? And do you have the Cricut Cake or the Expressions? I haven't had much success with my Cricut Personal machine, so I'm always on the lookout for threads with more info.Tarina, I haven't used the frosting sheets. Can you cover them up between usings?
Has anyone tried this? I don't want to ruin my cutting mat just to find out if it will work. Thanks!
I just ordered and received 2 replacement blades ~ they are the long blades for the Cricut Cake. I have the personal Cricut that I have only used for cakes. Can I use the replacement cake blades in my regular Cricut? I know the housing for the Cricut Cake and regular Cricut are different, but the blade fits in just fine. Will I tear up my mat if I use this blade in my Cricut? Anyone try this before? I get mixed results with my deep housing blade, so I thought I'd try...
Geraldine Randlesome has a pleater she uses ~ she is also doing a demonstration at the 2011 ICES Convention in August. Here is a link to her website and the pleaters: http://www.creativecutters.com/index.php?option=com_simpleshop&Itemid=42&task=searchI've never used it, but the pictures look really cool! HTH!
I have accidentally splattered food coloring on cake before, and the effect was ikind of cool. I would maybe try airbrushing the cupcakes with small neon swirls, then use the brighter orange/red/green food colors, dip a (food only) paintbrush in them, and "flick" the food color onto the cupcakes. Give it a try on white paper first to see how it looks. Good luck!
I've never done them (although I bought the cutters in anticipation for a cake that eventually was cancelled), but when I charge for cakes, I start with my base rate, say, $3.00 per serving. For me that is a basic cake with standard decorating. If it is a large cake (over 50-75 servings), I would make the shoes and not charge extra. If it's something small, like an 8" cake, I would charge at least $10 for the shoes. Really, I hate to piece-meal the price of a cake, so...
Generally, I have my cake sketched and planned before I start baking. For me, the baking, filling, and crumb coating are what I procrastinate one (I hate doing that ~ the decorating the the fun part!). BUT, once I am sure about the basic shape of the cake, my ideas might evolve and change, depending on how my decorating comes out. Sometimes what I sketch does not come to life the way I think it should, and I have to step back and make adjustments. But all in all, I...
The store in Clayton (large brick building on Main Street, called the NC Paper Company) sells Satin Ice in the small and 5 lbs sizes. I don't know how much they sell them for, as I don't use it, but they have several colors in vanilla and chocolate. The have a huge amount of pans, cutters, and also have a supply RI and GP flowers you can purchase. It's a great place ~ Joyce is wonderful!!! Their number is (919) 553-3313 and they are open Monday through Saturday. (Can...
If you use creamer instead of water in a cake mix, you have to use an extra egg. That's what I do, and I never have a problem with it sinking or the edges getting burnt. I hope this helps, and maybe someone else has some advice, too!
Ren715, what I do is stack and fill my cooled cakes, cover completely with plastic wrap, and then stick in the fridge for several hours or maybe the freezer for an hour. Then I take it out and carve it to the shape I need. I crumb coat the entire cake with buttercream. At that point, I put it back in the fridge for about an hour to chill it again. Then I put on the final coat of buttercream, then I apply fondant and start to work on the detail. The crumb coat is an...