Posts by Starkie

Kirsten6, I just mastered my Cricut the other day. The key is to roll out your GP thin (like paper), put it on a sheet of wax paper, put it in a Ziploc baggie, and let it rest overnight. (And I do mean overnight ~ I tried after 6 hours of resting, and it tore on me!) This is the only way I have had success with my cricut, but doing it this way, I have been able to make some beautiful scroll cuts for a wedding cake I'm working on this weekend. You have to be patient and...
WOO HOO!!!!! I had GREAT success with my Cricut yesterday! Letting the GP sit overnight was definitely the trick. Using the Cricut will take a bit more planning than I thought, but the results are beautiful! Thanks, Tiggy2, for the advice!
I am making (hopefully) a 3D standing dog cake, and I need something to sculpt the legs and belly with. It must adhere to the PVC pipe (legs) and the underside of the wooden base (belly) that the cake will rest on. Which is better ~ modeling chocolate or RKT? I have worked with RKT before on vertical surfaces (Leg Lamp cake) and it worked well, but did not stand up (no pun intended!) to warm, outdoor temps very well. It's winter, so I shouldn't have temp prroblems, but...
SweetJane, I don't see the pic, but I'd love to! I am going to Lowe's today to get some PVC and connectors. Did you use RKT for the belly? Did you have trouble with gravity pulling it off the stand???
I will have to say, when I ask my husband for an honest opinion, he gives it to me! I appreciate his honesty, but when he points out the flaws in my work, it's usually because he has seen me do better. (However, it does sound like my hubby is a bit more tactful than yours...) Ultimately, it doesn't matter what hubby thinks, it matters what the CLIENT thinks! I have delivered cakes that I was practically ashamed to take money for, and all the client did was OHHH and...
I am really looking for ways to get the RKT to stick to the bottom of a structure ~ like the belly of an animal while it is standing on four legs. Any ideas?
I want to make a 3D cake stand so I can make a dog standing up. Any advice on this? I need to use material that RKT will hold on to, especially upside down (does that make sense?) I have created stands from wood before, but the RKT doesn't adhere to it very well. Any suggestions would be extremely helpful!!!
There is a tutorial on here about blowing sugar bubbles. I have tried it, with no success. Of course I have never worked with sugar before, either. The tutorial is by Mary Ann (cakesbymaryann.com). I don't know her screen name. I hope this helps! Maybe someone else can give you the link to the tutorial!
Let me ask something here. I have th eLinda McClure DVD, and I have tried her method ~ rolling the gumpaste really thin (like paper), using a thin coat of Crisco on my mat, and letting the gumpaste sit for about 15 minutes before I cut. I am using the deep housing blade, and medium pressure and speed (I have played with that relentlessly!), and I STILL get ragged edges on most of my piecees. I would say only about 20% of the stuff I cut out is usable. Is that everyone...
Let me ask something here. I have th eLinda McClure DVD, and I have tried her method ~ rolling the gumpaste really thin (like paper), using a thin coat of Crisco on my mat, and letting the gumpaste sit for about 15 minutes before I cut. I am using the deep housing blade, and medium pressure and speed (I have played with that relentlessly!), and I STILL get ragged edges on most of my piecees. I would say only about 20% of the stuff I cut out is usable. Is that everyone...