Posts by Starkie

Thanks for your quick response! The ones my friend gets, the only ingredients are strawberries and sulfur dioxide ~ but they look just like the ones pictured on the website. Do you think cooking them in a simple syrup and then dehydrating them would do the trick?
My friend buys whole dried strawberries at a store, and they are PERFECT to add to scones and such. I have tried to dry my own with my food dehydrator, but they don't come out anywhere near how they look from the store. They are whole berries, and look like the ones on this website: http://www.nutsonline.com/driedfruit/strawberries/dried-strawberries.htmlCan anyone give me an idea as to how these were dried? Apparently, no sugar or anything was added, but they are so...
For some reason, I am having problems with sheet cakes. When I torte one and fill it, I can never get the layers back on straight. I end up with a leaning cake! I try to take my time, get things lined up, etc., but it always comes out uneven ~ even if it's even on one side! Any ideas on how I can rectify this problem???
Oh, yes! 2-4 TBS of milk, depending on the humidity. Once it's done mixing, the texture and creaminess is great, but after it gets on the cake and crusts, I can't stick GP to it, other icing to it, or make any texture in it, because it's so hard and crumbly.
I'm using 1 cup butter, 1 cup Crisco, 2 tsp flavoring, and 2 lbs PS. If I used a shortening with trans fat, would that help with the creaminess? Would it still crust okay?
I'm using 1 cup butter, 1 cup Crisco, 2 tsp flavoring, and 2 lbs PS. If I used a shortening with trans fat, would that help with the creaminess? Would it still crust okay?
I am trying to go to a more stable, 50/50 shortening/butter recipe for BC, instead of the all-butter recipe I have been using. I tried Crisco/butter, but it turned out REALLY crumbly when it crusted and I tried to smooth it out. I used Hi-ratio, and that was much better & softer, but it's SO expensive! There is a Lowe's Foods brand of shortening that has 3% trans fat in it, and I'm considering using that instead. Is it the lack of trans fat that makes my Crisco BC so...
Sorry you had to go through this! Some people just don't understand ~ life happens! I think some people have the expectation that we bakers have a huge contingent of employees behind us, really to jump in and finish a cake if something happens to us. The just don't understand that we are generally one-person shops, and when sickness or emergencies happen, we are basically shut down for a while. I am always afraid that I will leave a bride hanging, due to sickenss, a...
You could always try a lower guage wire (the lower the number, the thicker the wire). Was the wire attached to the body anywhere? If not, you could try a smaller diameter PVC pipe (maybe 1/2" or so), drill a hole through it and run your thick guage wire (maybe a 16?) through it to secure the arm. You could move the wire around to adjust the arm, but it should keep the arm up in the air. Give it a try!
I just realized that I am out of Viva paper towels. Is there anything else I can use? Parchment, wax paper, etc.? The hot spatula never works well for me, so any quick advice I can get, I would appreciate. Thanks!