Posts by Starkie

I live in NC too! I started by taking cakes to my kid's school. The teachers really appreciated it, and eventually ordered cakes from me. Then their family and friends started calling me, and before you know it, I had a business going. That's how I started. If you have a connection to a local public school (grandchild, teacher friend, etc.) see if you can bring some cake in and ask the teachers to "taste test" for you. You will be amazed at the response you get! ...
Really? Doesn't anyone use Foamcore? I would hate to have my cake slide off of it because I didn't prep it the right way...
I just bought some foamcore at the Dollar Store, and I would like to use it for my cakes. The board is about 1/4" thick ~ do I need to double it up? If so, what's the best method for attaching them together? And what is the best method of cutting them ~ scissors, razoer blade, knife? Any information would be helpful!
I bought a beater blade for my 5 qt KA as well, and LOVE IT!!! A few weeks ago, something went wrong with the blade, and it broke right at the shaft when I was creaming some butter. I was devastated!!! I know they are guaranteed for a year, but I didn't have my receipt. So I e-mailed the company, they asked me to send a picture of the blade to show how it broke, and then sent me out a brand new blade ~ I received it within a couple of days! How's THAT for GREAT...
Maxie, Lorraine does a GREAT tutorial on little fondant animals. Here is a link to the dog: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9u63Mh-SsY I have done her tutorials for a teddy bear and a lamb, and it's very easy to follow. Good luck!
I ended up using the FF sour cream, and although both the chocolate cake and vanilla cake baked fine, the sunk a good bit in the middle after they cooled. At least it wasn't a paid cake!
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this way! I am always going up to someone and saying, "I love your shirt! It would make a beautiful cake!" People think I'm a little nuts...
I am making a chocolate WASC cake, and as I was adding all the ingredients, I realized that I bought fat free sour cream instead of regular. (Blasted Wal-Mart makes all their packaging look the same now! I bought cottage cheese a few months ago, thinking it was sour cream!) Will this affect my cake, since it it fat free? Do I need to add an additional "fat" to my mix to equal out the additional sugar and flour I added? PLEASE HELP!!!
Dreme, I am in NC and also concerned about hurricane Irene this weekend! I have an "Act of God" clause in all my contracts so that I am not out any money if something such as this happens. (Of course, I would try my best to accommodate their next event, either free of charge or at cost.) I agree with Caymancake ~ regardless of what you have in the contract, find out if the event is still even going to happen this weekend, and if your client has made any contingency...
You could add more powdered sugar to it to make it a little stiffer, but be careful about changing the consistency too much. You could also add gumtex to it, but you would probably have to order that as well...