Posts by candycakes51

What you are picturing is exactly what I want to do, but I just couldn't figure out how to make the structure in such a way that the point wouldn't collapse from the weight of the cake.  Thanks for the great ideas, I think I can make that work.
I have this vision in my head of a Valentine's Day cake that has a round base cake with a standing heart cake in the center of it, but I am not sure how to stabilize the heart.  I was thinking of making a smaller round cake for the heart, then carving it into the heart shape and covering it with fondant.  Would wooden skewers hold it in place?
Here's a trick I learned from a graphic designer to get that bright red color we all love but often have difficulty achieving.   Start with orange!  Color your white icing or fondant with orange first, then add the red.  I like the Americolor Super Red the best.  It still takes a lot of color, but the results are great!  I have tried it with the Wilton too and it does work, but it just takes even more color.   My cake decorating teacher taught us the cocoa method years...
Thanks for the suggestion..I am thinking the same way.
I want to make a cake of a baby standing up but I am worried that if I use fondant for the legs it will slide down as the cake sits (especially on the baby's legs).  I would also need to transport this cake to another location a few miles away and it is still quite warm here.  Any suggestions?  I was wondering if making the legs from flesh colored gum paste and ditch the fondant all together on the legs would work?
My plan is to cover the cake with white fondant first, then cover it again with the colored fondant just like I did the white.  I will then use an exacto knife to cut out the shapes from the top fondant layer.  Wish me luck!!
I haven't tried it yet...I've only seen it done on TV, want to try it out.  I will put a post here if I have any problems.  
I use a thin coat of shortening when I roll out my fondant.  I also do it on a plastic mat, then I can just flip the mat over onto the cake...works great!  Thanks for your assistance ladies...I knew I could find my answers here.  
I want to cut out shapes from the top layer (which will be colored) and have the white layer underneath show through the shapes.  I have seen this done and really like the effect, but I wasn't sure about whether the top layer of fondant might slip off if I didn't use something to make it adhere to the bottom layer.   Thanks for your assistance.  
I am going to cover a cake with two layers of fondant.  I plan to use buttercream icing under the bottom layer of fondant but do I need to use something between the two layers of fondant to keep the top layer from sliding off?  This is my first attempt at this and would appreciate any info anyone wants to share.  Thanks!