Posts by maggiekbs

CountryStyle- I think you left out the liquid. How much do you use? (Will have to substitute out the butter, it's a milk no-no for my family)TexasSugar- Do you flip it over onto the cake to rub it out? I guess you would need to be careful not to disrupt the outline lines?
Oh, I thought the instructions for FBCT called for thinned icing? It would be great not to thin it. How do you get it to "flow" through the different sections without making the piping lines? Do you need to spread it?Thanks for your help,Maggie
The one FBCT cake that I've done turned out pretty well but I didn't like handling the frosting. The thinned frosting after it was frozen looked sort of like it was pock-marked. It just seemed like it should have a better consistency while I was using it and after it was frozen. I was wondering what recipes you all out there were using for the buttercream? I currently just use the simple Wilton shortening buttercream and thin with water. Do you have greater success...
Actually, I believe that egg white is the more common and often more serious problem. My son tests positive to egg white but no longer to egg yolk. Thank you for taking the time to make a suggestion, though. But if the situation ever arises for you, it is very hard to separate the white from the yolk (even commercially) without some cross contamination. For the curious, a good site for information about food allergies is foodallergy.org. Food allergies in westernized...
Could you give me an example of what "well covered" would be.? I'm really a newbie at cake-decorating. Also, in the class, you use flower formers to curve the flowers. Could those be frozen with say a buttercream daffodil?Thanks,Maggie"Girl of many questions"
Hi,My son has food allergies to milk and egg so I started making my own cakes. I have been taking cake decorating courses to learn how to make nicer cakes for him and my family. Currently, I am taking Wilton Course II at my local Michaels. That course is mostly royal icing flowers. I am trying to find an eggless royal icing so my son can safely have the cake. I have tried 2 recipes that didn't work, one had gelatine and the other had Ener-G egg replacer. The icing...
Hi,My son has food allergies (milk and egg) so I started making my own cakes. To make them nicer I'm taking the Wilton courses at my local Michaels. Well, I'm up to course II which is primarily royal icing flowers. I have not been able to find an eggless royal icing that worked for flower making (tried gelatine and Ener-G egg replacer recipes, not stiff enough). Since the primary reason (I think) to use royal icing is to be able to make flowers/decorations ahead of...