Posts by ceshell

Hm, I don't know the answer to that, but technically regular shortening is supposed to be good for 1 year after opening, if stored in a cool, dry place. I've had it go bad in under a year, which is why I followed CC suggestions to freeze my (more-expensive) hi-ratio as a precaution. I don't know if/how Hi-Ratio differs with regard to storage... Anyone?
That's a hard question to answer. Generally the freezer life of *anything* is no longer than a year...isn't it? That doesn't mean it won't last, but I wouldn't specifically AIM for it to stay fresh that long. It wouldn't become unsafe to eat, but whether or not it retains its quality is impossible to know. I would think some of that would depend on how airtight it was wrapped, your freezer's temp., etc.
You CAN refreeze hamburger meat! If it was thawed in the fridge and is still fresh (i.e. hasn't been sitting in the fridge for a week now) that is. The danger of refreezing food is with foods that are perishable at room temperature...which you have allowed to reach room temp. Once it's entered its "perishable time zone" (generally, 2 hours w/o refrigeration), refreezing it just freezes (but not kills) the bacteria that have started to grow.Uniced cakes would not be...
That's a point worth repeating - I bought a bucket of black just to try it, and decided to get a bucket of white too. I was VERY disappointed that they didn't label the white "Ivory". It's off-white. Other than that it was a good experience, especially if you buy fondant in small quantities. The cheapest I can get SI at a cake shop is $17 for a 2lb bucket, but Duff's stuff came to $11 with the coupon. I couldn't give two hoots that it's Duff's (sorry, no offense!), I just...
I know this post is nearly two weeks old but.. I like NY Cake a LOT - tiny shop but packed with stuff you can normally only order on the internet, super-friendly people. There is a larger shop in West LA/Culver City, which is also near Santa Monica, called Gloria's Cake Supply. They too carry SI and tons of other stuff, but they are pricey. Although for SI they are about the same as anywhere else (runs around $17 for a 2lb container). It's expensive if you buy in small...
Yes, freeze it! I portion it out into whatever amount I normally use in a recipe, wrap tightly with plastic wrap (twice) and then into a ziploc. Good Luck!
Try Earlene's - she has a shelf-stable cc icing recipe. http://earlenescakes.com/icings.htm
There's a thread around here somewhere - you whip the cream cheese separately and fold it in; you can't beat it in, it will break down your icing. I've made it this way (folding it in) and although it didn't look as smooth as plain old IMBC, it tasted fantastic. Don't ask me to tell you how much I added though
__^___^__What she said! It really is that simple! I didn't believe it and had Antonia74's post printed out for numerous cakes before actually trying it. I finally tried it when I was getting fed up with how lumpy my cakes were turning out. Couldn't believe I didn't try it sooner - soooo easy and such amazing results!
I used to try chilling it and then using a hot spatula, and the results were less than impressive. Some of the butterfats separate out and leave a blotchy look, especially if your icing is colored. Phooey.Further to what Melvira posted in response to your question, with regard to the bench scraper, here's a repost of the link I'd just posted: it's Antonia74's smoothing method. You WILL NOT be sorry....