Posts by alittlesliceofhaven

absolutely! please share.
Pila's Is where I get all my stuff. They also have a store in Norco that is a bit bigger. I'll have to check out Do It with Icing.
I'm getting closer for you - I'm in Riverside county - Murrieta (wine country). I'm just starting to make cakes for others (as in friends who want to pay me), although I'm just starting myself. The other ladies who have responded to the post are much more talented than I!I hope you feel better!
If they have not paid anything for the class and this is a first time class for them, don't go overboard with trying to cram too much in for an alotted time frame. Give them things they will remember and can use.* Tips on how to tort and fill * How to make smooth looking cakes (Melvira or hot knife since not everyone will have a rotating cake stand or a round cake)* How to fill bags & change tips (how to put a parchment bag together if that is what you are using)* one...
My questions are - why did her baker cancel? How long ago did this happen? Did she have the agreement with the original baker that she was going to make her own cakes? That just sounds odd to me that she has the cakes made and is now trying to find someone to decorate them a week before the wedding. And a week before the wedding she isn't sure what type of decorations she wants. Maybe all this is why the original baker cancelled!You haven't committed to this -right???...
Thank you all - I thought I was missing something. I don't mind doing my 1/4 sheets - I'm just starting to decorate so I haven't bought the bigger pans. My thought was you can still tier them, use any medium on them, carve them...To me there is still no limit. I just didn't understand why all the negativity.Indydebi - good point regarding serving sizes plus or minus the sheet and the extra work. I am getting so much more out of this thread than I expected!!
ceshell - that is a great link! ThanksI'm starting to understand - all interpretation and comfort level. Not to mention where you live and what the customers are used to.Thanks for answering my questions
I guess I am too new to caking. I have read in many threads how they refuse to make them and don't offer them. Is this only for weddings or always? I realize a round cake can be more smooth without corners, but is there more to it than that?Please enlighten me - I just don't get it. Cutting would be easier - right? Technically, what is the size of a full sheet cake? I was assuming my 9x13x2 pan is like a 1/4 sheet.Thanks - it has just been one of those nagging...
Congratulations! I am in envy of your new legality and having a little one only 6 months old to boot! Wow!!! Good Luck and much success!!!
I am new to this also, but I will give you my experience so far - you can either place cake on uncovered board or if you cover it with tim foil make sure it is secured to the bottom of the cake board so the cake doesn't slip off the tinfoil/board when plaing on the other tier. Marke sure the cake board is the same size as the tiers being stacked (your 8 & 6) so you will not see it or have that much to cover up.Placing on an uncovered board will not make the board soggy if...