Posts by johannap_73

well the 100% cane sugar is a joke for starters...look in the ingredients list if it was 100% cane sugar there would be nothing else in the ingredients list apart from the sugar...so technically they stuffed up to begin with, with their packaging, as the ingredients list says corn starch.....here in australia we have 2 varieties of this type of sugar that cake makers use it is either soft icing mixture which has a lot of corn starch in it and that is what makes it smooth...
i found a boiled fruitcake recipe that im going to try but im not sure how it is going to go with being fondant covered, from what i remember from one of my teachers years and years omg and years ago i was told that boiled fruitcake is not suitable to fondant cover because they leak or something like that....so not sure how it will go i have time to test a few but not that much time lol and  yep im an aussie from queensland....but thanks anyways
the only reason i do not use shortening or decorators cream base is because of the film it leaves in your mouth i hate that waxy greasy coating......i do not get that with real butter.....i also dont get that gritty horrid sickly sweet sugary hit with the old fashioned butter cream that i make....not too sweet at all...it is a boiled milk and flour one that has been around for many many years...i will not change back to regular buttercream again..i made it with a big hit...
thanks
try putting the cake in the oven with just the light on ( no heat at all) just having the light on will dry out the moisture on the cake....i never put cakes in a room with the window open cool night air has moisture in it and if it rains omg the trouble your gonna have..i try to store my cakes in a cupboard as the are a cool but dry enviroment....keep your room window closed to keep the room dry as fondant is a moisture magnet...glad it turned out....and yes never touch...
i have a customer who's husband is a recovering alcoholic, and they love fruitcake, i would like to know what do you do to keep your cake moist, because i normally pump my fruit cake with alcohol over a period of a couple of months...what do i do when no alcohol is allowed in the cake, i know i can soak the fruit in apple juice but what would i use in place of brandy for the other part as im not sure if apple juice would be very good for pumping the cake with after it...
i always ask myself when baking cakes would you pay for a cake that is 4 days old from a bakery....my answer is always no.....but that is just me...i try and bake my cakes no more than 2 days in advance if i cant get them into the freezer or fridge....unless it is a fruit cake and you have plenty of maturing time...butter cakes or sponge or pound cakes no more than 2 days for me...sorry but that is just me. i have had some baaaad cakes from people who bake them on...
get onto ebay ...i have just bought a heap of cake decorating tools and cutters and moulds all for a lot less than any cake decorating store i have ever been to, i did see a universal  corn husk veiner floating around in ebay...you just might have to wait for postage as they sometimes take upto 20 days but that is not too bad considering some of them dont charge for postage......i bought a set of sled cutters for christmas cost me $2.50 with free postage...cant beat that...
bakers get their butter cream so white because they dont use real butter, they use a white fat that has a greasy texture and no taste at all.....but there is also a white food color that you can also use to make it white....as for the little lumps it could be that some of the icing is jumping out of the sieve while you are sifting it or you could have a small hole ( i know it sounds weird in a sieve) in it....maybe a finer grade sieve could help.....
thankyou, that is roughly what i was thinking..... $ 80.00  and i had someone question my price..... she said she didnt pay that much for a slab cake and she then proceeded to tell me how much cake they had left over...( i was thinking cause the cake tasted like junk that is y there was so much left over)   so im on the right path with this type of cake...i was thinking around the $10.00 per inch so an 6"inch is $60  8" is $80 and a 10" $ 100.00    but that...