Posts by kats0916

Thank you! I appreciate the help!
How much do you charge for gumpaste bows, royal tiaras, etc? Usually I would give a price for the entire cake and not break it down, but I'm going to be selling a "build-your-cake" menu to a kids birthday party biz and so have to come up with prices for each add-on. The biz also then must be able to mark it up, so how much do I discount?
Thanks so much for the replies!!! I'm glad to hear the choc./blackberry combo works. I am looking forward to trying it!
I have a wedding cake client who wants to taste chocolate fudge cake with blackberry filling and cream cheese buttercream. I don't think it sounds very good, but I have never tried that combination. I am just wondering if anyone here has?
What would you charge for a 3-D sculpted, fondant dog cake?I have an order for a Border Collie for about 30 ppl. I haven't made a dog before so I do not know how long it will take, etc., but I need to give a price quote.Any suggestions??
Anytime you get a runny result with a real butter BC, just put it in the fridge, or freezer if you need to hurry, and let it get completely cold so the butter solidifies. Then take it out and mix it with a paddle attachment. If you have time to let it warm up a bit great, but if not, just go ahead and mix. It will turn into the ugliest mess and you will think it is ruined, but keep going; it will come back together and be perfect.
I love Eliza Strauss' recipe for SMBC from "Confetti Cakes". For years I only made IMBC until I found this one. It is so much easier and comes out perfectly every time. I always flavor mine with real vanilla and melted white chocolate. The white chocolate makes a huge difference in the flavor; also it gives a beautiful ivory color. I use more than is suggested, maybe 5-6 oz . Add it as the very last step. If it is too warm and the BC gets too soft, then put it in the...
Ok, I am making a stacked, 4 tier wedding cake this weekend and I need some input on the structure. The top 3 tiers are made with a choc cake that is very dense and therefore very heavy. The base tier is the WASC cake recipe, but with yellow mix. Basically, the 10" choc is heavier than the 12" yellow. I am planning to use separator plates with hidden plastic pillars; I thought this would give more support than thin wooden dowels, but I have never used them before. They...
Well, it is definitely possible to teach yourself cake decorating. I learned a lot through trial and error. Now, if you do a 2 year culinary program then pastry and cakes are combined into one class and you do not get much experience. If you do the 2 year pastry program then you take 2 classes just on cake decorating. I worked full time while attending school. I ended up as executive pastry chef for the company I started with. I did not get special treatment or perks for...
I went to Johnson & Wales in Miami and did the baking and pastry program. It was the best thing I ever did for myself. It was a career change for me; I was a social worker with a BA in Psych, and I ended up with a lot of loans to pay off, but it was definitely the right decision.Here is a basic rundown for you. Lab classes are 7 weeks each and 6 hrs each day. They consist of classic french pastries, breads, plated desserts, cake decorating 1 & 2, chocolate and sugar art,...