Posts by redred

I understand that cakes are easier to carve from frozen, do forum members agree? Wouldn't the cake be too hard/icy to carve?Also, what is the best knife to use? Serrated or non-serrated? I have seen pictures in Kerry Vincent's book. She uses a long thin blade, non-serrated, with a rounded tip. Has anyone used this type of knife, and knows what it is called?Thanks in advance.
As to how the chequerboard effect is achieved, I would hazard a guess. If it is using all buttercream - apply the white buttercream and let crust. Then use a chequerboard stencil, which you can make yourself using a sheet of acetate and craft knife, and 'paint' the brown buttercream. Alternately, if the base is white fondant, use the same method. Could also just paint on melted chocolate.
Thanks for all your replies. It is good to know there is such a thing like fondx, I will check it out next time I am getting supplies. I was going to do some experimentation with the ready to roll I have got at the moment, to see for myself what happens when it is taken out of fridge. Thank you Karen for your offer. I will let you know if I need a list. I don't need the fondx for a specific cake, just storing away knowledge to know what the options are.
Has anyone tried both Sugarflair and Americolor, and which do they prefer?I need to buy some new colours. I have tried Wilton red red but the deepest I get is a orangey coral colour, and have tried Sugarflair black which is pretty good.
I like the idea of making a cake with a mousse, whipped cream or custard filling, but am wondering what could be used to cover the cake when the cake (because of the filling used) needs to be refrigerated.This is the list I came up with : I would appreciate your views as to whether this is correct, and whether there are more choices.OKbuttercreamganachecream cheese frostingmeringue frostingNot okFondantroyal icing
How does one go about finding a kitchen to rent? Would you just contact all the local restaurants?
Plus factoring an hourly amount for your time. I read somewhere that they also add this to the ingredients and multiply by 3, but that seems too high. Perhaps multiply the ingredients by three and add a reasonable hourly wage.
Hi amandasweetcakes,I wouldn't tell clients you are new at - you need to project an aura of confidence, and if you start by apologising you are putting the clients in a frame of mind to be critical when they see the finished cake, even if it is a totally professional standard. Your idea of doing some dummy cakes is good - you could do some tiered ones, they needn't be full size because the technique in making smaller ones is the same, plus it is more economical. Also, when...
Another idea is to make a mini tiered wedding cake and you could take it into work to show her, you could all have it for morning tea. I've made a 3 tier to scale, with the bottom tier around 13cm. It looked really cute. You can use cans as tins for the smaller tiers. Then you can say you have experience making wedding cakes!
Congratulations cat! I'm sure all your clients count themselves very lucky they've found you.