Posts by redred

My suggestion is to not use the buttercream crumb coat. In summer, this is going to melt on you and the cake would become a heartbreakingly wrinkly mess.It might be ok to have buttercream between the layers if you particularly want the taste of buttercream, but for summer, a more heat-tolerant filling would be best, such as preserves, lemon curd etc.Brush a very thin covering of heated jam on the cake to stick the fondant. This will retain the defined edges.
Hi gcc,The thread you are after might be in 'The Lounge'.
If you're covering it on Thurs for a Fri night, why don't you just leave it out?I have refrigerated Fondant with and without sweating. If the temperature is warm, it will sweat. If winter or coolish, it won't.
What I did was cut out a circle of, say, 12" diameter from newspaper and drew lines on it where I would cut each slice, then counted the slices. I found that the total serves I got was similar to Earlenes, and not Wilton's.On that basis, I think Earlenes is more reliable, but probably would still want to satisfy myself by doing the newspaper thing for other sizes.Column C is the number of serves for that one pan individually. "Brides servings" are the total serves if the...
I'd go with 8" and 11". If you are stacking them, this will look in proportion.Also, according to Earlene's, this yields exactly 50 serves and I've found Earlenes to be reliable.
Keep the ball of fondant you are working with wrapped in clingfilm and rub a bit of crisco over it to stop drying out. Then, work briskly. I personally like to have the figures somewhat dry before putting it on the cake, so I would make them as far in advance as I can be bothered. Having said that, if I am making a new design, it may be easier to get the proportions of the entire cake right, by waiting until the cake is assembled, before making the figure. If the figure is...
TamiAZ, do you just put vinyl over the top, or is there vinyl above and below the fondant while rolling?
Thank you all for your replies. I will try skipping the cornstarch and just use crisco then. I also have a piece of vinyl, so shall try that too. Today I have a 3 tier wedding cake to cover, so should get lots of practice! Bit of pressure to get it right, as it's going to be in the paper.
When I apply fondant, it appears to dry out and forms a skin, like an elephant skin, with little cracks, like dry earth, by the time I've smoothed it onto the cake. This happens even though I use a minimum of cornflour to dust the surface, and smooth it as fast as I can. I have tried rubbing my hands with glycerin and kneading a bit into the fondant, but doesn't seem to help. Looking at the pics in the galleries, I've not seen any other cakes with this problem. Everyone on...
My thoughts EXACTLY.