Posts by ABrunath

I just did a luau cake for my daughter's birthday. Had about 28 kids plus average of 1 adult per child. I made a bigger cake than necessary, just because I wanted my idea to look right. I used oval pans and did a two tier. The top tier was offset to the right and back of the bottom tier, so it wasn't smack in the center. This worked well when I was cutting the cake too. To decorate it, I used one of my daughter's Bratz dolls for the hula dancer on the top tier. I...
I've got a question about cake balls. I just made a batch, and YES, they are rich, but quite yummy! I wasn't sure if I added too much liquid or not (I used French Vanilla coffee creamer), but I thought they were similar in texture and consistency to fudge. Is that the way they're supposed to be once you roll them into balls? After letting them sit for a while, I tasted one and it seemed too gooey, so I popped the whole tray into the oven for about 15 minutes. Now...
I'll certainly try. Hope this goes through, cause it's really a very thorough explaination. The only problem I've had since I've tried it is getting the flower to stay on the wire after it's dry, but I didn't try using egg white yet, so maybe that'll help. Here it is, let me know if it works or not:http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=72132
Oh, this is probably much more involved than just having a clean kitchen, and insurance is definately a good idea. The first step, I guess, would be to check with my local zoning and health depts. (like Doug suggests) to see if it's feasible. But what if it isn't? How do you do business, pass out business cards, advertise (even by word of mouth, which is what it is for me right now) and do a legitimate business?
Thanks everyone for your input, real helpful. I've been dragging my heels on this for too long. Guess the first thing to do would be check into getting legit/licensed and pick a name and do the search thing to check out whether it's been used in NJ yet. I've got about 25 names on my list (some better than others, some I can live with), so I'll need to narrow it down a bit to favorites. The kitchen / health dept issue is something to be concerned about. The good thing is...
Thanks for the suggestions, they helped to some degree. I tried both, ended up wrapping the fondant around the wire at one end of the leaf. It worked. Then I decided to search a bit on the web and came across a wonderful description on how to use a celboard, WITH PICS! Now I'm going to try that method, will let you know how it works out.
I've also been thinking about getting business cards from Vista. It's good to hear that they do quality work. I get their e-mails all the time. I do have a question though, and it may be a silly one. Do you have to have a legal business (go through the whole process) in order to have a business name on the card? I've made a running list of names that I'd like to use for my cake business, but haven't picked on yet. Ordering business cards would force me to narrow it...
Anyone know how to use a Celboard to make leaves on wires? I bought one recently, had taken a class in Gum Paste a while back and the instructor used one. I can't remember the proper way to use it to get the right results though.
I'd definitely suggest going SLOW! Seriously though, get a sheet of that rubber shelf liner (sold at supermarkets, Target, dollar stores, etc) and lay it flat under the cake. If the whole thing is doweled, including the styrofoam cores, it's unlikely it'll come apart. The trick is keeping the cake in one place and unable to slide while driving. I don't travel without the stuff! Hope this helped in some way, Good luck!
OUTSTANDING! AWESOME! They are truly beautiful. You do great work, and must be very patient! I'll have to remember this for future reference.