Posts by liamsmommy

MAKING THIS FOR THE FIRST TIME:Found this on another site and tried it out tonight, was delish! I didn’t add any red food coloring (all out, oh well) and just a dollop of BC icing and it was a HIT! I used the 2 cups of sugar and 1 cup of oil method since that was a comment on the recipe and a lot of people commented that it was better this way and I have to agree! At the suggestion of the commenter I also skipped the vinegar, and just tossed the baking soda in with the...
I've got a request for a baby shower.-3 tier 6,8 & 10" stacked rounds Gerbera daisy sugar flowers(gumpaste, royal or fondant?)Lowest tier to have a white picket fenceMiddle to have "baby Beal "Top tier ?Request to incorporate bees, butterfly's, dots and daisyColors- orange yellow teal and green Then added ok to have pink flowers but no pink tierBaby is a surprise so they don't want too much pink.I am trying wrap my brain around all this color. Is three cake tiers all...
Ok followed the instructions here http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/saras-secrets/buche-de-noel-recipe/index.htmlI used the off set spatula to spread the batter in the pan. Then I had a little left on the rubber spatula so I scraped it off and spread. I think that cost me the cake! It seems the section I did that to came out really flat and crunchy. Any thoughts? I have never made this type of cake before. My son and I dug into the fluffy foamy scraps and boy was it...
I made this recipe...http://joyofbaking.com/VanillaCupcakes.htmlIt had a good flavor but was too dry. I tried less oven time but still too dry. Any thoughts?
What would cause my icing to separate from the gel color? On the cake in the bag etc.
`I have worked with fondant a few times and usually use basic shortening based b/c underneath it. I have used other icings before with fondant accents and it tends to slide off the cake. (in my gallery the mother's day quilt w/breakfast tray) Is using anything other then b/c asking for trouble? Not to mention the kinds of icing I am using are supposed to refrigerated and from what I have read fondant doesn't go in the fridge once it is on the cake.
Thanks for all the info!I made my first batch following the above recipe (made a 1/2 batch) to play and test out. It tastes pretty good! It doesn't have that greasey taste like traditional b/c. I like it a lot! I have a few questions about the IMBC...#1 you say you can decorate with it...Mine has the consistency of stabilized whipped cream. Seems it would be hard to get clean lines with it. Is this normal? I covered it and stuck in the fridge. I will work with it...
Thanks you have been extremely helpful!
For decorating purposes does it hold up like buttercream?? I am making my borther's wedding cake. September 18 in Southern Ca ...hot hot hot! The cake can be in an a/c environment out of the sun too. So you are saying make some of each type and dilute the basic b/c with IMBC?What do all the pros do when they have soomeone request say a cream cheese or white chocolate icing and it is warm outside? I made a cake for the bridal shower and the white chocolate cream...
I originally posted this thread awhile ago. Now I have the opposite problem. Way gooey mmf! I had a cake disaster last week with gooey fondant that wouldn't harden for a bow. It was super stretchy and would just blob all over. It was awful!!