Posts by tatania199

So, I'm making my brother in law's wedding cake.I haven't made a wedding cake in two years and my brain no longer thinks in cake! Here's the guidance I've gotten. Their colours are black, white and deep, deep fuchsia (almost red/purple). After thinking about it, they are thinking maybe something that plays off of their china (elegant stripes and dots):And this was a cake that caught their eye (but no flowers):But ultimately, it's totally up to me!Obviously, because it's...
I did it once.A friend who is a chef wanted to do his own wedding cake. I offered my help right off the bat, but it was important to him and I think he just didn't understand how much there is to do to prepare for a wedding.Of course, two days before the wedding, he was frantic. He didn't have time to do it, his specialty was not cakes (or even desert in general) and nothing was going right.So, I wound up finishing it. His cake was dry and not perfectly level. Also, he...
I think that's a big one when you're talking about specific ways to cut cake costs - ask the cake designer!When I was doing cakes, I obviously knew what I felt more comfortable doing, what would take less time to do and what cost less money. If you trust your baker (and you should!) and are open to suggestions/willing to be flexible, you'll get way more cake for your money.Now I won a bridal boutique and the suggestions in the magazines are exactly the same - foolish. Yes,...
So, I'm doing a cake for a friend's wedding. It's pretty much up to me. He said simple, but that was only for my benefit and since it's not often that I get to do any design I want, I'd like it to be amazing.The wedding colours are white and navy. So, I was thinking something modern and elegant in all white, since I'm not a navy fan and haven't found anything really spectacular, really amazing in navy.I was thinking maybe a sash cake, because they're terribly impressive,...
Okay, just got a response:"I understand that you are very proud of your work. But I am sorry, to me (and others who have seen what I wanted) it looked like a cheap version of the cake I asked for. The swirls weren't in straight even lines, they looked very broken and bumpy. It is not just the different colors. And what I meant about the icing is all the royal blue decorative icing would fall off. Even if you had not cut it. Swirls were falling off people's cake and I had...
[quote="ShirleyW"]Oh. Wow.I didn't actually know it was a Colette Peter's cake. I've never actually seen Kathy's website. I posted the pictures that the bride gave me for context with my issue. I certainly didn't imply that the design was mine. I mean, I posted the original pictures, pictures that have the name of the person whose cakes these are. So, doesn't that make it pretty obvious that these lovely cakes were the creation of Kathy's Kakes? I'm so confused? I guess I...
Thank you all.I can't imagine what she is talking about.We talked about fondant, I make my own (MMF) so I know the taste isn't offensive and from her conversation, I assumed she knew what fondant was. And regardless, I use BC underneath and the cake itself was moist and rich. I explained all of that, the whole set up of the cake itself.The colours and design were EXACTLY what she wanted. She told me exactly what colour everything should be and didn't want the writing....
Thank for the kind words. We put so much time and effort and hours into this cake. It's crushing to have some one tear it apart that way.The decor on the cake is royal icing and the flowers are gumpaste. The cake survived transport (and a very long and bumpy trip through the hotel through no fault of our own) just fine. I find it hard to believe that it spontaneously collapsed the moment we left.Maybe she didn't understand what fondant was (my tastings are typically a...
Okay, so I just got an email for some one for whom I did a cake a week ago. Here's her email:"I just wanted to let you know that I wasn't happy with our cake. It wasn't near as decorative as the picture I had sent you that I wanted. All the icing edging started to fall off before the day was over and really bad when you tried to cut it. It was pretty dry, also we had changed the type of cake we wanted after the cupcake tasting. So I am very dissappointed with it,...
Sorry - that was a lousy picture - reproduced too many times!I updated with the best version that I have from my bride.And hmmmm, now that I'm looking at the better version, do you think that the ivory beads are piped and the gold are dragees?