Posts by sgirvan

I personally don't think it is wrong to do either, I would think as a business, it would be cheaper ingrediant wise to make from scratch than what you pay per box for a mix these days. so thinking along the lines of saving $ and providing "from scratch" recipes, I would try to find recipes that you love from scratch the same as you do with your icing. I can always tell when people use "cheap" ingrediants in a cake or cupcake, certain after tastes or texture are always...
Hello everyone, if you are a cake decorator in BC Canada or anywhere really, please feel free to come to http://www.facebook.com/groups/253690238020362/#!/groups/186121541521984/on Facebook and join the new group there.
Well I must say that doing zebra print out of fondant is alot harder than I thought it would be, too bad their isn't a cutter set out there for this pattern!!!Next time, I think I will paint the zebra stripes on instead as it gets a nicer clean look to it.I will post my picture tomorrow.=)
I use the steam method to get the fondant shiny, just be sure not to steam it too much as you will get it wet and the colors may drip into each other.One reason why ther person who wants a matte finish but is getting a shine is that she may be using too much shortening when blending it or rolling out. I use cornstarch when rolling out my fondant on a piece of large vinyl. I don't usually get too much cornstarch left on the fondant but you can brush it off with a pastry...
So here are some of the "secrets" that I have learned over the past 6=7 years of decorating. I never torte my cakes but bake two seperate cakes instead so have at least 2 of each size of pan Allow your cakes to cool for a minimum of 1/2 hour before turing out I use the vinyl from walmart to roll out my fondant/gumpaste - I buy it in a large roll and cut it to the size of my counter and tape it down. Once I am all done, I untape it, roll it up and toss it away - no big...
well it really depends on the look you are going for and how you want them on the cake.I used to do alot fo FBCT and if I and looking for a big design to be the focus of the cake and easy to cut through, I do the FBCTIf I am doing a few characters and I want them to stand up or to put on the sides of cakes then I do RI transfers - they are my personal fav.I haven't worked much with chocolate transfers as I only recently ordered the special coloring for chocolate, my local...
because I can't see the picture you are talking about, I can only speak from my experiance of sprinkles.When I have applies sprinkles or sanding sugar to the boarder of a cake, I brush where I want them with some water, i get my finger or two a little wet and dip it in the sprinkles then pat it on the side of the cake I want them to be, the wetness where I brushed the cake with water causes the sparkles to come off my finger and onto the cake.
I am doing a cake in about a week that will have some zebra stripes on it and I am wondering from those of you who have done them, is it easier to paint the white fondant with black coloring or to make the stripes out of fondant and place those on the cake?
I use 5oz of warm water added to 5 tblsp meringue powder, wisk for about 2 minutes to get rid of any lumps, add a whole 1kg bag of powdered sugar and mix in my mixer for 8-10 minutes.I like my icing nice and thick to start out with and then thin it down to the consistency I need for my project.I just made a hello kitty image as well for a cake I am doing on Friday, lots of Hello Kitty cakes lately =)
I was wondering if this bulletin board could possibly add a "like" button to the cake gallery? There are alot of cakes that I would love to "like" but just don't want to put comments or add to favorites or else my favorites would be so full